ALH MK4 White & Blue smoke

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by John5621, Nov 13, 2017.

1. John5621

John5621 New Member

Car:
    Jetta TDI, ALH, 2003
    Hi guy's, I'm hoping someone can help.
    I have a 2003 MK4 ALH Jetta with 335,000 kms.
    The timing belt, ERG, N75 valve were recently replaced.
    To get some more power I adjusted the injector pump (hammer mod) to increase fuel to the engine. I reduced injection quantity to 2.8 mg/str. Shortly after when I stepped on the gas I would cover the highway with white smoke then with blue smoke. If I drove like a sissy just lightly touching the gas pedal it would be fine, (no smoke).

Then I adjusted the injection quantity to 5 mg/str and I still get smoking (white & blue).

I have a stage 1 tune with an automatic injector pump in a manual transmission car.

I checked the PCV & CCV and their not clogged. Also all vacuum hoses were replaced summer of 2016.

Anyone have any idea's what I can do to stop my ride from smoking?

Thanks

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  2. YMZ

YMZ Super Moderator

Car:
    Jetta 2003, Golf 2001
    Latitude 44.407959, longitude -76.018369.
    Blue smoke isn't good... you're burning oil... which is coming from somewhere...

Was the turbo ever replaced? Was the head ever rebuilt?? (I'm thinking of the valve guides...) The rings tend to last a long time, but occasionally the cylinders don't wear evenly... (and I assume that there hasn't been shoddy work done during a timing belt change that may have damaged a rod or valve...)

White smoke is usually unburnt Diesel... perhaps that hammer mod wasn't quite bang-on... (no pun intended...)

Just a few thoughts...

Yuri

3. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    White smoke is water being burnt, blue smoke is oil being burnt.

4. John5621

John5621 New Member

Car:
    Jetta TDI, ALH, 2003
    upload_2017-11-15_15-5-15.png Originally my Inj Quantity was 2.8 mg/str.
    I adjusted it to 5-5.2 as in the image above but I still had smoking issues
    Yesterday I adjusted it to 6.0. I haven't really driven it much to see the difference.
    First the white smoke came out followed by the blue smoke. The blue smoke would come after I let up on the gas pedal, like it was getting sucked up some how.

The timing belt was replaced by a reputable shop in Vaughan, an expert on VW's

The Turbo cartridge was replaced with an aftermarket one, but no the head is original.

When I first had the automatic pump installed the engine shook from the extra fuel being delivered to the engine, I adjusted the injection pump to decrease fueling, all was good. Then I wanted more power and messed it up with this smoking issue.

I contacted the shop that did the timing belt, he said anything that goes wrong in Diesel engines could cause the smoking issue, I guess it's a matter of trouble shooting it now?
    upload_2017-11-15_15-7-51.png