ALH Diesel in Oil. HELP

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by Tdieezi, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Tdieezi

Tdieezi New Member

Car:
    VW Golf TDI 2002
    My 2002 alh has been rough on start up for a while. Lots of white smoke and sometimes it would shut off seconds after turning ignition. I just attribute it to cold starts this winter because it is worse when it is cold. I performed my last oil change myself, only 3000km from the time my mechanic last did it. I noticed before the change my oil that the oil level was high, almost to the top bend in the dipstick tube. This was strange to me but I didn’t think or know much about what caused it, just thought my mechanic overfilled it? I performed this oil change early cause I planned to get an oil analysis done to see if I uncover any hidden problems. It came back with lower viscosity which I brushed off for the past 2 weeks because I was extremely busy and stressed. The v100 was found to be 9.3 when it should be around 11 for the 5W30 oil my mechanic had put in. I have been driving almost 2 weeks until this clicked with me and I had breathing time to think. I checked my oil level again today and it is high already, to the top bent part of the dipstick tube. I filled it exactly too the half way mark when I filled it last.

I looked at the injectors and the very left one was wet. From a quick search I can have a bad seal (washer) on the injector, a leaky injector, or something else? I’m assuming the white smoke on start up is unburnt fuel but I am a novice when it comes to this stuff so any guidance is helpful. I feel confident taking an injector out but am clueless when diagnosing the actual issue.

And fyi I have DLC1019 injectors installed by the previous owner along with malone stage 3 and some other mods. I also recently diagnosed slightly retarded injection timing with the vagcom but haven't gotten around to fixing it yet.

login to remove this ad
  2. Seatman

Seatman Well-Known Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    You need to check the level when the engines warm according to my handbook. Level rises as it warms.

Diesel can't get into the oil in the alh, that's a pd thing, newer engine. A bad seal can cause it. But on the pd the injectors are under the valve cover.

With your alh the injectors are external.

Anyway engine warmed up and oil should be at the top of the hash marks on the dipstick

Tdieezi likes this.
  3. Tdieezi

Tdieezi New Member

Car:
    VW Golf TDI 2002
    I will check the level after warming it up tomorrow. But it defiantly read high when I did my oil change and I had it warmed up then. I meant I am more of a n0vice when it come to injector issues.

What would cause the bad starts/wet injector. I replaced my diesel return lines recently because they were leaking so that issue is ruled out. It shudders a lot on start up and this morning died soon after starting. After its starts and shoots out its giant puff of white smoke it runs fine.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  4. Tdieezi

Tdieezi New Member

Car:
    VW Golf TDI 2002
  5. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    nozzles wear out over time allowing them to leak.. AND not make a good spray pattern... a stream of fuel will not explode like a mist will..

id also do a compression test.. if its fuel.. id think one hole has a cracked piston or something allowing diesel to wash the bore seal to piston ring area into the block.. and a bad miss can do this..

Tdieezi likes this.
  6. Tdieezi

Tdieezi New Member

Car:
    VW Golf TDI 2002
    I understand that they wear out but these are less than 2 years old. I was told they were pop tested but maybe he just swapped nozzels.

Ill try and book a compression test. As for the injector shouldni clean the carbon and replacee the seal?

7. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    gasket/copper washer is 1 time use only.. gotta replace if injector removed... tdi club talks of tapping injector into head while torquing the bolt.. i suggest doing that and make sure you keep a spare set of gaskets/washers case a few weeks later one springs a leak... for me 1 in 8 seem to do this to me.. aka every other car one injector will get a compression loss at injector a few weeks after... before the tapping injector into place was more common issue.. there is no room for error

feel free to pop test all ya want.. the unicorn shims cannot be gotten as they are unotanium.. so feel free to pay one of the few who say they do this... then the real dare is after giving up the first born to pay for it, open them up to see if any shims inside.. if none.. you just lost a kid for something anyone can do

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  8. BOWZ

BOWZ Member

Car:
    2001 JETTA
    Mods:
    MALONE STAGE 1, EGT BOOST, PANZER PLATE, SBC STAGE 2 DD, .658
    I am also having smoky startups with a new-to-me 01 TDI. I think I have it ruled out everything but one or more injectors. I however have not noticed it making oil. Even with external oil feed/return lines you can still get f/o into your engine. If a injector is leaking by, it could slowly be filling up the combustion chamber and leaking past the rings and into your oil pan. If that is the case be careful you don't hyrdo lock the engine. I'll be watching for what your problem is.

Bowz

9. Tdieezi

Tdieezi New Member

Car:
    VW Golf TDI 2002
    Hey Crsmo5, what do you mean by a bad miss can do this?

Thank you everyone for all the help. Below is my plan of action.

I believe the issue is bad injector = draining all diesel into the head every time the car shuts off.

Today will be my last day driving the car until I figure it out, gonna get all my warm cycling gear ready for these sub zero temps.

1. Fix retarded injection pump timing.
    2. Replace copper seal on leaky injector 1.
    3. Run compression test on all 4 injectors.
    4. Re-asses after compression test.
    5. If compression is good assume no rod/piston ring damage? Buy new nozzles from kerma tdi with their hot swap program.
    6. If compression is bad then I will cry a little and get to fixing.

I will be going through this plan with my Mechanic tonight.

I also dropped off my second oil sample today that I took last night when draining the extra oil in my car. Will here back on friday. Only have 2200km on that sample.

I also talked to both Kerma and a guy at my local VW shop. The VW guy remembers rebuilding injectors all the time with Bosch equipment and setting the 2 spring pressures/strokes with tiny little shims. This was common practice before injectors became cheap. And going through Kerma and having the injectors calibrated with just buying nozzels is still cheaper then buying all new injectors and tryin to swap them myself without screwing up so I have no problem going that route if need be.

10. BOWZ

BOWZ Member

Car:
    2001 JETTA
    Mods:
    Do you mean compression test all 4 cylinders? Correct if the test comes back good (right psi and even across all cyl) then you should be set block/head wise.

I have at least one sticky injector and plan on sending them off for rebuild + new nozzles. The company I'm going through will recalibrate the injector after 100k also.

Sounds like you have a solid plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Tdieezi

Tdieezi New Member

Car:
    VW Golf TDI 2002
    Where are you going to send your injectors? Do you have stock nozzles now.

12. BOWZ

BOWZ Member

Car:
    2001 JETTA
    Mods:
    Sending them to fixmyvw.com. It's on a car that I just bought. Injectors supposedly gone through by local inj/turbo shop. Previous owner got fed up with the overboost and hard smoky starts. Plan is drop in stock injectors out of my other TDI and send these in for some 1019 tips and calibration. I also do a lot of business through kerma, they are good people. Fixmyvw does my Malone tunning and that's why I do inj through them. Clear as mud?

Bowz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    bad miss.... a bad miss... aka what its doing with cloud on start up that smells like fuel... the miss makes it... a stuck open injector would wash the oil off the bores allowing fuel to run past..

and guy thinking he can get calibrated injectors... after you do... open them up.. i wanna see a pic of the unicorn shim... that are not able to be gotten in any way that i can find... if it lacks them.. you could have done same job yourself...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2017
  14. Tdieezi

Tdieezi New Member

Car:
    VW Golf TDI 2002
    So I think I set my variable timing yesterday. The problem was no matter how much I heated it up, vag-com told me the engine was not up to temp. It was always at 90 degrees. The other weird thing was that after 1 bad adjustment when I set the timing even more retarded the car seemed to run smoother.

I also had another look at the injector I thought was leaky and it looks like the 17mm nut on top of the injector is actually leaking because it is more wet then sooty. I just changed all the diesel return lines about 3 oil changes ago so I can't see that being the problem. I tried tightening the nut but It was not loose, it didn't seem to want to looses much either.

Any ideas?

And crsmp5, maybe I can take the ones I am sending back apart because they were apparently calibrated but It was done by a local shop here in Ontario so Im not sure if they have the bosch equipment or not.

15. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    temp for computer and gauge are 2 parts in same sensor... its bad...

injector lines crack.... DO NOT EVER PUT YOUR FLESH BY MISTING DIESEL cause it will kill you when it injects diesel thru your flesh.. but i expect the line to have damage by the nut..

not a single bosch rebuild place can get them... that ive talked too.. and the ones who say they can will not sell them... so imo.. they lying just to steal money

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017 at 9:17 AM