Airbags Deploy - Installing new ones

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by Turbo_Boss, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Turbo_Boss

Turbo_Boss New Member

Car:
    VW Jetta - MK4
    Hello Guys,

My Son have a 2009 Mk4 Jetta (is a 2009, this car is still in production in Mexico)

He was driving fast on the free way and he took the exit too fast and lost control and crash into a ditch:mad:

His car only have insurance against third parties so it does not cover his car.

Both of the airbag deploy and he confess that the airbag help him not to hit the steering wheel.

We are fixing the car with used and new parts. At the moment the only new part that we fitted is the radiator that I got new in $120.oo

I need to install the 2 airbags (Dasboard and Steering Wheel) and I was thinking ordering these used parts thru E-bay.

I am mechanically inclined so i can install this myself. I have installed car radios with amplifiers, Remote control alarms, etc, etc

What I need is:
    1. What parts do I need to order.
    2. Step by step DYI
    3. Can I still use the module that is under the radio area or I need a new one?
    4. Do I need to change the Steering Clock Spring?
    5. Do I need to use VAG COM to resst or to adapt the new used airbags.
    6. Any other things??

Thanks so much for your time and help.

Isaac

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2017
  2. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    airbag = explosive = shipping issues.... so i expect ebay not good idea... the shipping alone will be very costly...

a seat belt buckle here is like 150 in shipping due to its built in explosive.. yea just the part on the seat..

you should vag com the air bag system to see what other sensors/items it "burnt up" in deploying the bags.. i think a spike in place of air bag with note"seat belt on" is cheaper option

3. Turbo_Boss

Turbo_Boss New Member

Car:
    VW Jetta - MK4
    I forget to mention that I am also going to look here in my country on junk yard places for these used parts. I already find locally a place that have the 2 airbags and the module but they want $600.oo So thats why I was thinking on order these parts thru ebay .

If I get these parts locally, I will need Step by Step DYI

THX & RGS

Isaac

4. mu2bdriver

mu2bdriver Active Member

Car:
    2003 Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    Stock
    Shipping an airbag isn't a big deal. It's just hazmat. I forget what classification but when Honda or Toyota had that big airbag recall a few years ago I remember seeing hundreds of them getting passed down the belt at work. And they got tossed around pretty well and nothing exploded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turbo_Boss likes this.
  5. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Yes, you need the new airbag module. See the FAQ for how to remove the steering wheel, it shows directions in there. There's also a step-by step for removing the center console.

6. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
  7. Oldaccord

Oldaccord Active Member

Car:
    1998 Beetle TDI
    Keithuk, the parts and body is still an mk4! not sure how it's considered an mk5 when only thing basing that theory is the year! Look in the production area and you will see they are made in Mexico from 1999-2015
    Here is the info on the mk4
    Fourth generation A4 (1J)
    [​IMG]
    Overview
    Also called
    Volkswagen Bora
    Volkswagen City Jetta
    (Jetta City in 2009)
    Volkswagen Bora Classic Edition (China)
    Volkswagen Clásico (2010 onwards in Mexico)
    Production 1999–2006 (Europe)
    2001–2010 (China)
    1999–2015 (Mexico)
    Model years
    1999–2007 (US, Canada, Europe)
    Assembly Wolfsburg, Germany[5]
    Bratislava, Slovakia[5]
    Changchun, China (FAW-VW)[5]
    Puebla, Mexico[58]
    Uitenhage, South Africa[5]
    Body and chassis
    Body style
    4-door notchback sedan / saloon
    5-door wagon / estate
    Layout Front-engine, front-wheel-drive or four-wheel-drive
    Platform Volkswagen Group A4 (PQ34) platform
    Related Volkswagen Golf Mk4
    Audi A3 Mk1
    SEAT León Mk1
    SEAT Toledo Mk2
    Škoda Octavia Mk1
    Powertrain
    Engine
    1.4 L I4 (petrol)
    1.6 L I4 16-valve (petrol)
    1.8 L I4 turbo (petrol)
    2.0 L I4 (petrol)
    2.3 L VR5 (petrol)
    2.8 L VR6 12-valve (petrol)
    2.8 L VR6 24-valve (petrol)
    1.9 L I4 SDI (diesel)
    1.9 L I4 TDI (diesel)
    Transmission 5-speed manual (02J)
    6-speed manual (02M)
    4-speed automatic (01M)
    5-speed automatic (09A)
    6-speed automatic (09G)
    Dimensions
    Wheelbase
    sedan: 2,510 mm (98.8 in)
    estate: 2,520 mm (99.2 in)
    Length sedan: 4,380 mm (172.4 in)
    estate: 4,410 mm (173.6 in)
    Width 1,730 mm (68.1 in)
    Height sedan: 1,440 mm (56.7 in)
    estate: 1,490 mm (58.7 in)
    '08 City Jetta sedan: 1,445 mm (56.9 in)

Turbo_Boss likes this.
  8. Turbo_Boss

Turbo_Boss New Member

Car:
    VW Jetta - MK4

The Jetta MK4 is still produced in Mexico to this day. They make this model with the name Jetta Clasico. They do not export this car to USA. I live in Central America and we get this model from Mexico

Make a google search for JETTA CLASICO 2015 and you will see you will get the MK4 model :)

Isaac

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  9. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    I know they have made the Clasico/Jetta for along time.

Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 08/1996-12/1998, Model: Clasico/Jetta, Engine Code: AHU, 66Kw, 90PS, 1.9 Ltr, 4 Cyls , Remarks: Turbocharged Direct Injection (TDI)
    Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 10/2005-05/2007, Model: Clasico/Jetta, Engine Code: AXR, 74Kw, 101PS, 1.9 Ltr, 4 Cyls , Remarks: Mexico ("MEX"): Turbocharged Direct Injection Pumpe Düse (TDI-PD)
    Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 06/2007-12/2014, Model: Clasico/Jetta, Engine Code: CBPA, 85Kw, 115PS, 2.0 Ltr, 4 Cyls , Remarks: SRE

10. Turbo_Boss

Turbo_Boss New Member

Car:
    VW Jetta - MK4
    So, do you think you need to move this thread back to the MK4 Forum :rolleyes:

:D

Isaac

11. baisley

baisley New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Issac,

I have built several cars that were from the salvage auctions. First thing I would do, before you invest any money, is to check and see if the car is worth repairing. Looking at the impact and the car, from the basic pictures I see, I would be concerned that you might have some frame rail damage. You need to do some basic measurements to see if there is an issue. This will help you clearly decide if this car is worth fixing.

So, assuming that the only real issue is bolt on (Suspension - radiator -ic cooler- core support - fender) The airbags are an easy fix. As others have mentioned, you will need to replace the seat belt assemblies for any of the seats that had someone in the car when it impacted. I would replace the clock spring and the driver side bag as well as the dash pad and passenger bag. The SRS Computer (airbag) is behind the shifter and below the ac controls. DO NOT GET THE OLD ONE RESET. The old unit served its purpose, throw it away. You can get the SRS computer, bags, dash and clock spring from a used car.

Make sure that you have the battery disconnected when you pull the old bags and install the new. Personally, I place the ignition to on and go outside the car to attach the battery cable, this way I am not in the car when I initially test. You should never have an issue, but I m risk adverse. You will have codes that will require VCDS to clear. The new to your car airbags will automagically register with the main computer, so no coding required, (Assuming you are using the exact model of car and year as the donor for your car.

As far as ebay shipping being expensive due to the explosive nature of airbags, Take a look at the listings. I have bought multiple and never had that experience. The listings up now for the US ebay are all pretty standard costs.

Turbo_Boss likes this.
  12. Turbo_Boss

Turbo_Boss New Member

Car:
    VW Jetta - MK4
    Hey Baisley,

Thx so much for your advice.

Just curious, why you advise to change the Clock Spring?

Thx,

Isaac

13. baisley

baisley New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    It is not always required to replace the clock spring, but it is fragile and the part is fairly cheap, so i replace. You can try and not replace and see if you get any errors. There is a happy balance between overkill as far as replacing items and not replacing them. The same theory can apply to the impact sensors they are on both sides of the radiator on core support. If you are in a junkyard and pulling stuff from a car that has not deployed, I try and pull everything I can that is reasonable on cost. The only exception that I do not compromise is the SRS computer (replace no questions asked). Standard industry practice is to replace all of the sensors for the impacted area, the clock spring and the bags. I reused the sensors on my car.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    Turbo_Boss likes this.
  14. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Ah...it's a mk4 chassis. Moving it back to the mk4 section.

Turbo_Boss likes this.