Acceleration Problems VW Touareg TDI

Discussion in 'Audi Q5, Q7, Touareg TDI, Porsche Cayenne forum' started by GLK, Jul 2, 2014.

1. GLK

GLK New Member

Car:
    2014 VW Touareg Lux TDI
    I just purchased a new 2014 Touareg Lux TDI. I have put on approximately 600 miles. There is about 1 second hesitation in acceleration when inching out into traffic then trying to accelerate. Most of the time it is when making right turns from a stop sign. This is a real safety hazard when traffic is heavy. I'm taking the truck in for my VW "Double-Check" next week. Any suggestions for me and/or the service department?

2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Hello, have not heard of this but I moved your post into the touareg specific subforum.

Are you left foot braking? If you touch the brake pedal at all, even a minor brush will cause the accelerator to cut out due to drive by wire.

3. GLK

GLK New Member

Car:
    2014 VW Touareg Lux TDI
    I do brake with the left foot & will watch it; however, my wife does not & she notices the same type of hesitation sometimes when accelerating from a stop. It's scary when you're trying to cross lanes in heavy traffic & you lose power. My last truck was a Mercedes SUV with drive by wire. I know they are totally different vehicles, but I had no such problem with left foot braking. VW may be more sensitive? Thanks for your response.

4. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    It may just be how the brake switch was set. Someone with a Passat recently was sure there was something wrong with the car but after working through many solutions they finally tried not touching the brake pedal with the left foot. This fixed it completely. First, don't left foot brake because even a touch of pressure will often trip the brake switch and cut the power.

If it's not this, not sure what the issue is. Ask the dealer for any stored error codes. Some 4 cylinder TDI have had a similar hesitation complaint but it has to do with the DSG auto-manual transmission clutches slipping because of overaggressive acceleration from a stop. Same if you slipped the clutch pedal. The Touareg/Q7/Cayenne use traditional torque converter and slushbox due to the much higher torque and towing requirements. It should be completely smooth and more consistent.

5. GLK

GLK New Member

Car:
    2014 VW Touareg Lux TDI
    I tried various pressures on the brake pedal while trying to accelerate at the same time. At no time did the brake pedal cut the power. The vehicle kept moving & there was not any hesitation. I don't think the theory of left foot braking is valid in this case. I'll wait to see if any error codes show up at the dealership.

6. 4ePikanini

4ePikanini Member

Car:
    2005 Touareg R5
    Have you tried resetting the gearbox?

Ignition on (dont start it)
    Press the throttle flat and hold for 15 seconds
    Release throttle
    Ignition off
    Key out

That procedure resets the gearbox.

Other than that, try driving in sport mode and see of behaves differently.

7. GLK

GLK New Member

Car:
    2014 VW Touareg Lux TDI
    Thanks for the reply. I read about the reset on another blog and did it several days ago. So far OK. Time will tell.
    Also, I took it to the dealer. They did a full analysis & no codes. They could not replicate the problem so, in their mind, it does not exist. They said it could be turbo-lag which doesn't make sense since it happens at minimal acceleration.

8. Audi5000TDI

Audi5000TDI Member

Car:
    2013 touareg tdi
    Mods:
    ID-10T detector for VW Stealerships
    Welcome to VW service. They can do nothing without a check engine light/fault code showing... remind them of that when they tell you your car needs brakes or tires and they try to upsell you. Then ask them how they know to add ad blue when no check engine light is on either? Or change transmission and diff and transfer case oil too. Or wash the car and wax it.

Other than that, and doing basic service, the wealth of all the basic information and knowledge on Trouble shooting a Touareg is kept in Germany, along with all the spare parts, and locked up like the gold in Fort Knox for security purposes and extraction of maximum dollars from your account, as they are the only ones that have online access for all the specifications you need to trouble shoot things that go poof or out of spec, like sensors.

As to your acceleration situation... this is a VW, you need to adapt your driving habits to it's quirky acceleration behavior. Adapt, or wreck it... it's a VW, all VW's are quirky in their own way. If you don't adapt, plan on bad juju happening to your Touareg, it does not care what you owned or drove before you bought it. In general, it's a very, very bad idea to mash the throttle on a turbo diesel, period. Roll your foot into the throttle over 3/4 to 1 seconds time.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  9. GLK

GLK New Member

Car:
    2014 VW Touareg Lux TDI
    Thanks for the reply. I agree with your comment about adapting driving habits. I've accepted the fact that I cannot safely accelerate into traffic with my $58,000 SUV and need to wait the extra minute until traffic is clear. I do not mash the throttle down; I understand turbo lag. This happens when just normally accelerating from a side street or a parking lot into oncoming traffic & you suddenly lose power for 2-3 seconds while in the middle of your turn. I also have a loud vibration from the solenoid valve when it is purging theAdBlue line on shut down. The service consultant at the local dealership was not even aware that the AdBlue pump purges the line. He again said "no codes". I need to find a VW dealer that understands 2014 Touareg diesels.

10. Audi5000TDI

Audi5000TDI Member

Car:
    2013 touareg tdi
    Mods:
    ID-10T detector for VW Stealerships

Try this: turn on the ignition on your car, but don't start the motor. You may have to put the keyfob in the slot in the dash, and without touching the brake pedal, turn it, until the ignition is on with out the motor running. Press the accelerator pedal to the floor and hold it there for 10 seconds. Shut the ignition off. Get out of the car, and lock it. Next time you take it for a drive, drive it very gently on the acceleration. Do this for 4, 6 or 6 trips. What you have done is reset the transmission and the way it shifts, now go test it and see if it behaves any better, not in a real life situation, but in a simulated one.

11. GLK

GLK New Member

Car:
    2014 VW Touareg Lux TDI
    This process was also recommended by #6 above. I tried it, but only once. I'll try it your way & do it numerous times. I appreciate the suggestion.

12. Todd Knowles

Todd Knowles New Member

Car:
    Volvo XC90
    I had a 2005 Touareg & experienced exactly what is being described here. My worst experience was turning left at an intersection & finding that the car wouldn't accelerate with fast oncoming traffic approaching. My mother was in the right seat & it was only because the oncoming cars hit their brakes (& horns) that a serious accident was averted.

The car went back & forth to the dealer multiple times before they scheduled a meeting for me with the Factory Representative. He said that what I had been experiencing was actually not a problem at all, but was a 'feature'. He said that because I had touched the brake pedal with my left foot while also touching the gas pedal with my right foot, I had 'confused' the engine computer. And that even after lifting my left foot completely off the brake & pressing hard on the gas pedal, the computer didn't 'know' if I wanted to stop or accelerate. So it just let the engine idle. And he said this as if it all made sense...... I have never before or since come so close to starting a fight.

I asked why I had found it so hard to repeat. He said that pressing hard on the brake pedal causes the car to act normally. ...Sure, of course, that would make sense.... He also told me how to repeat it: With car in gear, press very gently on the gas pedal then very gently on the brake pedal (with left foot), then lift your foot off the brake & try to accelerate. I eventually got good enough to be able to trigger this crazy behavior about 50% of the time.

BTW, because this is a 'feature' they don't need to fix it & you can't use Lemon Laws to force them to take it back.

I stopped driving the car & eventually traded it in for $25K. To be fair, although this was my worst complaint with the car, it certainly was not my only complaint.

Good Luck!

13. GLK

GLK New Member

Car:
    2014 VW Touareg Lux TDI
    It's been almost a year since I first posted this problem. I have learned to live with it by adapting my driving habits. Every so often, I'll lose power & it's a quick reminder to be careful with left foot braking and acceleration at the same time.

14. Ol'Rattler

Ol'Rattler Well-Known Member

Car:
    06 TDI Jetta
    I was taught left foot braking in Drivers ED, as well. It has been universally accepted and taught in Drivers Ed since then, that left foot braking is a very dangerous habit on ANY car, not just a Dub. Under pretty much no circumstance, should you ever left foot brake.

What can happen during a panic stop is that the driver will push both petals hard as they can at the same time while trying to stop.

I actually saw this happen several years ago. The car ended up with the front end firmly pushing against a house and the rear wheels (RWD) spinning like mad and the driver sitting there with a dazed look on his face.

I ran up to the car, opened the door and yelled at him, "TAKE YOUR FOOT OFF OF THE GAS!!!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  15. Ol'Rattler

Ol'Rattler Well-Known Member

Car:
    06 TDI Jetta
    Oops, quoted myself.............

16. TouaregCryer

TouaregCryer New Member

Car:
    2013 VW Touareg Lux TDI
    Hi folks, newbie here, but not new to diesels (12 years with Chevy 3500 1 ton Duramax diesel, 4 years with my Treg :)

I've experienced exactly the same issue with my 2013 Treg... 2 to 3 second power drop (total loss) when turning left. It's coaxed back by gently pumping the pedal, but can be very scary. I WILL try the remedy suggested here, and intend to notice whether or not my size #12 right foot nudges the brake pedal when turning. Could be! And thanks to all if the suggested remedies work.

The issue has been very intermittent, though, so it could be awhile before I can report back anything definitive, if at all.

Another power loss issue has also popped up: complete loss when driving straight and level. It's happened twice, and on both occasions the dashboard gradually lit up like a pinball machine. First, a warning about the ABS system. Then a warning about the parking brake (I kid you not!), then a warning of some kind about the headlight "adaptive system" or some such. Both times, the dealership blamed it on a malfunctioning wheel speed sensor. First time: driver's side, second time (months later), passenger side. The car's under extended warranty, but the service ticket showed $299 for "wheel replacement" on both occasions.

The service writer took me aside after the second incident and muttered out of the side of his mouth: "We'd had a lot of these." That was all he said, and zipped his lip, but I figure the computer systems are so cross-integrated that a "glitch" here can lead to a major "burp" there.

My wandering thoughts... since VW has supposedly "discovered" that the emissions cheat problem can be solved for "Generation 2" cars via a software "fix", is it possible that the cheat created other problems within the computer complex of the vehicle? Just an idle question, I suppose. But still... if the nitrogen problem can be "fixed" with a software chip or whatever, why didn't they do that in the first place???