AC not working-- in fla!

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by madducrich, Mar 4, 2012.

1. MPG MASTERS 1

MPG MASTERS 1 Member

Car:
    2005.5 TDI Jetta
    Mods:
    MPG Masters 1 device increases MPG
    Yes, I see them there and also Polar Bear ones for about 65 bucks.
    If that valve effects the overall running pressures and the techs are calling for a new compressor due to the lower pressures then shame on them.

login to remove this ad
  2. CLLARK1

CLLARK1 New Member

Car:
    2010 VW SPORTWAGEN TDI
    Mods:
    Malone Stage 2 DSG TUNE
    The dealerships and a lot of independent shops will tell you the valve can not be replaced.I am sure if you purchase the valve you can find someone willing to do the work.There are page after page of positive results from just replacing the ccv.

3. MPG MASTERS 1

MPG MASTERS 1 Member

Car:
    2005.5 TDI Jetta
    Mods:
    Follow up: SANDEN model U8678A R134 but it does not look like a cer-clip,looks like it has a housing with a dimple on the top rather then a button and a Allen bolt holding it to the compressor housing. Hope changing it fixes the issue.

4. CLLARK1

CLLARK1 New Member

Car:
    2010 VW SPORTWAGEN TDI
    Mods:
    Malone Stage 2 DSG TUNE
  5. MPG MASTERS 1

MPG MASTERS 1 Member

Car:
    2005.5 TDI Jetta
    Mods:
    Yes it is a 4573 and takes the bolt in version without the pig tail wires EX 013 instead of the EX 014 that has the pig tail wires.
    Polar Bear is about 8 bucks more expensive then "cool air parts" I think both are made in China and Sanden does not sell the part separately I am told.
    Local shop hear said they would do the entire job for about $125-$150.
    Think I should do the receiver dryer at the same time?
    Thanks a lot for all your shared wisdom, you are one smart dude!

6. CLLARK1

CLLARK1 New Member

Car:
    2010 VW SPORTWAGEN TDI
    Mods:
    Malone Stage 2 DSG TUNE
    No just evacuate change part vacuum and refill.

7. MPG MASTERS 1

MPG MASTERS 1 Member

Car:
    2005.5 TDI Jetta
    Mods:
    Another success story!!! Bought the part from Polar Bear and had it changed this morning for $69.95 which was the cost to evacuate and recharge. So simple to change the RCV valve the shop did it for free.

Ice cold air at engine start and ice cold air on the way home.

Super fix, the VW shop wanted over $1000 for a compressor, dryer and labor.

$78 dollar for the part including shipping and $69.95 to install and recharge system was the way for me to go.

Old valve looked okay and no metal filing or dirt in the system so I lucked out Big Time.

Thanks again,
    Rik

8. winreboot

winreboot New Member

Car:
    2011 Golf TDI
    Just want to share another success story. For me it was the sensor too but I think my issue was unique because the sensor terminal wire inside the plug was melted off. No fixing it from that point so at the end I also needed new sensor. Below are some pix I took working on it.

[​IMG]
    First removed the bottom plastic
    [​IMG]
    Here is the sensor. I had the snap ring version. It's easier to remove then you would think. At list it was easy for me. I used angle snap ring players.
    [​IMG]
    Here are my players holding the snap ring.
    [​IMG]
    Here is the sensor removed. I purge the gas out but for some reason there was still plenty inside to make a mess.
    [​IMG]
    Sensors side by side. Old is on left, new is on right. They look little different but I was told as long as the o-rings are in the same place it will be good. And it was good, works fine after installation
    [​IMG]
    Picture of whats inside. It looks pretty clean.
    [​IMG]
    And here is my issue. I'm holding my old sensor. If you see the left terminal inside was melted off. I have no idea how that happen.

Some summery, this was easier then I thought. I did not vaccume the system. I know, I know, but I just wanted to test if it works and I just added a can and was blowing cold air. On the weekend I will go to a shop and vaccume the system and correctly charge it.

Thanks to every one that provided the info about replacing this!!

9. tobias

tobias New Member

Car:
    2012 VW Jetta 2.5 SE
    Just wanted to add another success story for replacing the electronic control valve. I had been reading up on this thread for a while and finally committed to giving it a shot. Same as everyone else, my 2012 Jetta 2.5 was suffering from very poor AC performance. Useless on super hot Florida days.

I have the Sanden PXE16 compressor and actually ordered the valve through EBAY for $44 (though I did use the PolarBear website to help confirm it was the correct part). I borrowed a vacuum pump from Auto Zone for a fully refundable $155 deposit and manifold gauges from a friend. The whole uninstall/install process is very straight forward, but it took me a little while to get the old valve out. In my case, what I learned is that since the valve is sealed under a vacuum/pressure system, it was very reluctant to pop out with the system closed. So after trying to finagle it out for 30 minutes with no success, I opened both high and low pressure lines, and let the central yellow hose of the manifold gauge breath a little to balance out the internal pressure, and the valve popped right out. Once removed, I noticed the original/broken valve had the longer stem and the one I ordered had the short one, but as others have posted, it did not matter. Very little oil leaked out from compressor. From there it was a piece of cake. Popped the new valve in, reinstalled the circlip, connected the wire, vacuumed the system for about 45 minutes, closed it off, charged it up with 530 g of refrigerant, and now I'm seeing 45 degrees from the dash vents. All in all I spent $44 on the part, $35 on refrigerant, $4 on circlip pliers, and about 2 hours of my day.

Thanks to everyone who has posted!

BIGGeoff likes this.
  10. Dubdr2

Dubdr2 New Member

Car:
    Mk3 GTI, Mk4 Jetta(s)
    I've replaced the compressor control valve and recharged the system, still no a/c. Any suggestions? I have a 2009 jetta tdi.

11. mikeme

mikeme Active Member

Car:
    2009 JSW TDI
    Do you also have a VCDS? pressure gauge set? voltmeter?

Need to figure out what is wrong.

12. Dubdr2

Dubdr2 New Member

Car:
    Mk3 GTI, Mk4 Jetta(s)
    What is a VCDS? Have a gauge set and DVOM. 12 volts at CCV. Cooling fans work, ac light comes on, still blows warm air.

13. mikeme

mikeme Active Member

Car:
    2009 JSW TDI
  14. Dubdr2

Dubdr2 New Member

Car:
    Mk3 GTI, Mk4 Jetta(s)
    I think that pertains to mk4. Thanks for the suggestion though.

15. mikeme

mikeme Active Member

Car:
    2009 JSW TDI
    Sorry, missed the 2009 part in your post.

first thing I would do is hook up the gauge set and see what the ambient pressure is. if there is any liquid R134a in the system at all, pressure should be close to the static entry for temperature.

[​IMG]
    (but since you say you recharged the system, you probably have R134a and no gross leaks)

VCDS is software that lets you read data from the HVAC computer (or other computers in the car)

ross-tech sells the cables and licenses you need to run the VCDS software.

next steps would be to start the car, and turn ac on.

note if the radiator fans come on, and what the low and high pressure readings do. Also note the condition of the coolant pipes. do they get cold at all?

There are a couple fuses involved, so checking them is always a good idea.

Magnus likes this.
  16. mikeme

mikeme Active Member

Car:
    2009 JSW TDI
    [​IMG]

I changed out my RCV yesterday. above are a few graphs of data from the HVAC controller captured with VCDS

before I changed the valve, it started to wait a while before blowing cold air, and after the change, works much faster, and gets much colder.

All charts are from morning drives from my house, same route out of the subdivision. the charts on the right side are just different scale of the specified current on the left side chart.

only thing I would add to the R&R DIY notes is that it was a little difficult to fully seat the new valve, but since I planned to evacuate, I started the vacuum pump. extra 15 pounds or so from the ambient air made it easier to fully seat so the snap ring could be put back in the proper place.

One thing I would have done differently is ask the shop I had recover the R134a to verify how much oil they pulled with the refrigerant. depending on the recovery equipment model they have, the amount of oil will vary.

after the fact, I called the shop, and they said they usually just add half an ounce of oil. (not what you call comforting precision)

decided half an ounce was at the low end of the spec for oil, and added ten ml of PAG 46 using this:
    http://www.tooltopia.com/robinair-16256.aspx
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  17. jimmelo

jimmelo New Member

Car:
    VW Diesel Wagon 20122
    There are actually two versions of the control valve for the circle clip types. At least on the polar bear website. There is EX 030 and EX 019. I think most people have been ordering EX019 and haven't looked at EX030. If you look at the top of the control valve you will see that one has a round post on top and the other one has a rectangular post with rounded edges (polar bear has pics). So it's important to look before you order. It's not a big deal and that way you can just leave the engine cover off while you wait for the part to arrive.

Just ordered my part today.

Enjoy.

18. jimmelo

jimmelo New Member

Car:
    VW Diesel Wagon 20122
    Just wanted to thank everyone for the help. I ordered EX030 from polarbear for around $67. They shipped fedex for around $14 and I got in about 3 days. I found a mechanic here in St. Cloud MN who evacuated the system, removed and installed the part, and then did a vacuum and fill of the system for $100. Dealer was quoting me right around $1500. As soon as I turned on the car cold air was pumping out and the car was cold within about a minute. Had the same problem with a couple of mechanics only wanting to do a full compressor. Wolff Auto if you happen to be in St. cloud. 320-493-0868.

chittychittybangbang likes this.
  19. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    I bet you were pretty happy to not pay the dealer $1500....prob a new compressor, labor, etc.

20. Ramon Samaniego

Ramon Samaniego New Member

Car:
    2003 jetta tdi
    I see a lot off happy story here. unfortunately, not for me.
    I changed the pressure control valve on my system and still no joy.
    Ive tried the 12 volt applied on the valve itself and also no difference.
    Still no movement on the needle which leads me to believe that nothing
    is happening to the system, either a bad compressor, clogged line or any
    pressure switch not activating. Does anybody have a system diagram or
    familiar on what components as on the system.

Any ideas before i tear the system apart.

Thanks.