AC Blowing Hot

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by eddi887, Jul 16, 2017.

1. eddi887

eddi887 Member

Car:
    2003 Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    Air intake
    I've had this car for about a month, and AC has been working great. I know the previous owner had it charged as he said it wasn't working since the car had been sitting for a while.

Anyway, I just made a trip to the Gulf coast, it worked great all the way down, then started blowing hot air. I bought one of those recharge cans with the gauge, figuring it was low, and when I hooked up the gauge, it was in the red.

Is there any specific thing I should be looking at on this 2003 that would help me figure this out?

Thanks...Jeff

2. Ed Ke6bnl

Ed Ke6bnl New Member

Car:
    2002 VW Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    none
    one thing is that there is oil mixed with the refrigerant SO a visible leak will often have oil deposited at the leak. just for starters.

3. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    well... need a set of ac gauges to read both high and low side... if they same compressor took a poop and needs replaced..be warned.. you may blow up the low pressure gauge.. i have a few times... note.. not supposed to be same

next.. never just put freon in.. if its over filled it will have too high a pressure to turn on... aka i put stuff in on a cold day.. now its 95 out and my ac does not work... the ambient air temp is now hot nuff to raise the system pressure keeping the ac off

4. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    When was the A/C last re-gassed and re-oiled?

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing. If will check the components out.

5. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    how does vagcom tell ac pressures??? much rather do that then blow up any more ac gauges... if it cannot do that vagcom on ac, then its a waste of time to even mention when he tells of the low side being in the red on a cheap gauge on the low side... set of gauges... if same pressure on both high/low bad compressor.. if low a little high but not same high as high.. then when guy added freon before he got it he over filled it.. worked till the outside temp got high nuff to turn it off... which is easy.. bleed off some freon and will work again... but if compressor bad.. will not help

till that gauge on the can in a normal, not red range it will never turn on as the system has a pressure switch to keep it off

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  6. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
  7. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    thanks did not know it would do that... so if he gets a "low side" gauge with real numbers not green-red graph and he looks at that he should be able to tell whats going on i assume

8. eddi887

eddi887 Member

Car:
    2003 Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    Air intake
    Ed Ke6bnl, crsmp5, Keithuk,

Thank you all for your responses. I haven't seen anything that would indicate a leak, and the gauge showed in the red, overcharge, so I don't think it would do that if the freon had leaked out.
    I'm waiting for an ordered set of gauges; hope they don't blow up! lol
    I don't have VCDS, or know of anyone in my area that has, so I'm kind of stuck in that respect. I plan on buying it at some point, but want to make sure nothing major pops up on the car in the next few months, as I'm limited on my parts funds.

Thanks again...Jeff

9. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Well your in Dallas so pop into your local AutoZone they will do a free scan in the hope you buy something of them. I don't think the have VCDS but its a start.

We do have VAG-COM/VCDS User Locations but very few users add their details.

When A/C systems are re-gassed and re-oiled they also put in a dye which will show up any leaks you have in the system.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  10. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    his is over pressurizied on the low side.. so not leak issue... :p is it over filled or did the compressor fail is the question...

you can buy cans of r134 freon at biglots for $8 or less if on sale.. best unknown deal out there if you need to recharge it.. walmrt 2x as much along with the auto box stores..

lay a nice leather work glove over the gauges as you hook up the lines.. same goes for when turning on a oxy/acetiline torches or argon tank.. lay the welding glove on the gauge then turn on.. this way if something does break, the glove will stop from hitting you..

it over swells the blue/low side gauge... plastic cracks pretty easy when it receives too much pressure.. the high side is made for the high pressure.. so only the 1 blows.. id almost get a 2nd high gauge.. remove and swap it with the low.. then hook up to see if same.. if same compressor is bad... then swap back in the low gauge to recharge.. only cause im expecting the compressor failed... but damb it.. he just topped off the freon before you got it... so may be overfilled..

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  11. eddi887

eddi887 Member

Car:
    2003 Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    Air intake
    Keithuk,

I will do that. Like you said, it's a start.

crsmp5,

Thanks for the tip on Biglots, I think we have some of those in the Austin area, I'll check. I'll take your advice on covering the gauges, better safe then sorry.

I did receive my ac manifold yesterday, my son bought it for me, bless his heart! But, it didn't have the adapters with it, so I'm waiting on those now. In the meantime I'm checking anything else that may be related, fuses, fans, etc. And as Keithuk mentioned, I'll stop in at Autozone and get a readout as well.

Thank you both for the advice and information.

Jeff

12. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB