A3 tire issue

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by MaineMoxie, Jan 5, 2017.

1. MaineMoxie

MaineMoxie New Member

Car:
    2013 Audi A3 TDI S-Line
    Mods:
    Audi Sport valve-stem caps, Yakima roof rack
    It's been a couple of years since I've posted, but I could use some advice. I've got a 2013 A3 TDI Sportback S-line (the last sportbacks manufactured before the sedan version appeared in the US). I've got 106,000 miles on it so I currently plan to do the repair as opposed to the buyback (I still have a year left on my loan and the buyback just isn't that great). I have had tire issues for awhile and I read somewhere that A3's can have this problem, partly due to the recommended camber. Anyway, here's what I have gotten out of each set and some of the drawbacks:

Continental ContiProContact (factory): 37,000 miles (weak sidewalls were easily gouged)
    Falken Ziex ZE-612: 41,000 miles (so loud my head hurt)
    Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+: 28,000 miles (uneven wear for several months and now nearly bald)

I have faithfully done the checkups listed in the manual which include tire rotation, etc. I paid for an alignment after mounting the Falkens and again after mounting the Michelins.

Conditions I typically drive under:
    • I live in Maine so there's a fair amount of snow, ice, and rain. (Note that the car is garaged every night.)
    • I have an 81 mile (one-way) commute on highways with virtually no traffic. I do this commute 3-4 days per week 8 months of the year. In the summer I drive mostly locally or, maybe two or three times a month I head up north into the woods to go fishing (so gravel roads).
    • I do have a habit of taking corners a bit hard. I will sheepishly admit it is why I like European cars and I know that causes wear, but it's a hard habit to break.
    Questions:
    1. What tires should I get based on the driving conditions I listed? (I figure if the TDI fix is not approved, I'll just sell the tires and remount the old ones before doing the buyback.)
    2. Should I have a four wheel alignment done such that the camber is set to under 1ยบ (which is what I read is recommended for US-based vehicles)? If not, what should I do?
    Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide. If I still had much hair, I'd be pulling it out about now in frustration.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  2. MaineMoxie

MaineMoxie New Member

Car:
    2013 Audi A3 TDI S-Line
    Mods:
    Audi Sport valve-stem caps, Yakima roof rack