1. leocat66

leocat66 Member

Car:
    V W, 2006 JETTA, TDI
    A/C has been working perfect until today. Stopped blowing cold. Blower working, Belt still on compressor. Just quit, no gradual decrease in performance. Not sure which fuse controls power to compressor but all in fuse box are good. Is there a relay for the compressor and if so where is it located? Stopped at a shop and they did not know about fuse or relay, but did check and found that Freon was not flowing. They stated that if there is a fuse or relay problem and the compressor is receiving no power it would not work. The compressor is one of the type without a clutch which has some form of internal sensor.

I am totally lost. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Only vehicle and needed for work in a very hot climate.

login to remove this ad
  2. leocat66

leocat66 Member

Car:
    V W, 2006 JETTA, TDI
    Have been reading other older threads and have found where the HP switch is located and also the A/C temp sensor, but so much of the detail is way above my pay grade.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  3. leocat66

leocat66 Member

Car:
    V W, 2006 JETTA, TDI
    Before it quit this would occur; Just Turn on the key, not to start position, and fans would come on after 5 or so seconds and run for 20 seconds or so at a seemingly higher speed than normal for 20 or so seconds and stop. Not sure if one or both were running. Start engine and fan or fans would not run until and unless A/C activated. It has been working perfectly this way for a year.

Now this occurs; Insert the key, just turn it on without starting, and neither fan runs, until car is started and A/C is activated, at which time both fans run. If the A/C is switched off both fans stop at the same time. So I guess the fans are good from what I see. When A/C is switched on I detect no change in RPM or indications of a load. Thinking that compressor is receiving no power and the HP switch may be faulty. Doubt that it is the A/C temp. sensor as the a/c temp should be low, but have not ruled it out either.

Should the fans start when the key is turned on initially, not started, and run for 20 seconds or so as they did when things were working, or is that odd? If so what would control that function if it is normal? Is there also a relay in this system?

Also, if I choose to replace the HP switch can it be removed without Freon loss?

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  4. leocat66

leocat66 Member

Car:
    V W, 2006 JETTA, TDI
    Have spent three days at the repair shop with owner, working on this problem. We replaced compressor, HP switch, and drier. Started the car and it cooled fine initially. About 4 minutes later the relief valve on the compressor blew. Even though the fans HAD been working fine, we then noticed that they had both stopped, and no air was flowing.
    Replaced the relief plug. Fans work inconstantly at random but not when A/C is engaged. Have order fan set. Is there a A/C temp sensor, and where is it?