9W7 vw bluetooth compatible phones list

Discussion in 'VW Mk6 Golf, Jetta, Beetle, Sportwagen TDI forum' started by mar, Sep 16, 2010.

1. mar

mar New Member

Since VW does not have a list of compatible bluetooth phones for the 9W7 module yet, can we have a shout out of who has what type of phone, brand, unlocked or locked and whether all phone functions including sinking phone book and call log histories are working.

login to remove this ad
  2. freeflyer

freeflyer Member

Car:
    Golf Wagon TDI 2010
    iPhone 4 Rogers works fine incl phonebook and call lists

3. fletcherp

fletcherp New Member

Car:
    2011 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
    Motorola Droid w/ Android 2.2 mated w/ all functionality.

4. mar

mar New Member

9W7 Compatible Phones

Well after begging my carrier for an early upgrade so I could get an Iphone which is very compatible with the 9W7 the request was denied.

Looking for phones on the secondary market is daunting when you have to explain to the seller the phone needs to work with 9W7 and needs to be tested first in the car. My niece's husband thankfully had an old Motorola Q9 which I moved my SIM card into and presto the phone book sank and could be modified (you will get a message saying phone book changed) and the call history started to finally work. Best of all I turned the internet off two phones ago so I can use the Q9 smart phone without big brother telling me my phone saw the 3G network and then trying to charge me a mandatory monthly data fee.

However, I tried two blackberries (a torch and a 9000) and they were not compatible with the 9w7 so go figure.

Most smart phones allow your contact list to say work, home, mobile and several more but 9w7 just has the first 3 so I suggest you use these because if you tag your contact for example as "office" it will say "other" and this sounds stupid so I choose among the first three.

5. Hamlet

Hamlet New Member

Car:
    Golf TDI MK6 2010
    I just bought a 2010 Golf TDI and successfully sync'd my Droid Incredible via blue tooth. No issues...

"Kill your iPhone" :)

6. 2011GolfTDI

2011GolfTDI Member

Car:
    2011 Golf TDI DSG
    LG VX5600 (Accolade) full functionality.

7. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Will make this post a temporary sticky and add it to the FAQ as more info comes out.

8. Saul Zaddik

Saul Zaddik New Member

2011 Golf TDI w/Blackberry 9700 on T-Mobile and all is well except Pandora.

Saul

9. jerastan

jerastan New Member

Car:
    2011 Jetta SportWagen
    My HTC EVO connects great for phone calls but for some reason it fails to connect to stream music.

10. PlanoVWguy

PlanoVWguy New Member

Car:
    2010 VW Golf
    2010 Golf does not support RNS 510 touchscreen phone functions

I have a 2010 Golf TDI with the RNS 510 Navigation system. My third VW TDI (fourth if you count the one I had for 18 hours but that is another story).

VW USA told me today that the Golf does not support any of the touchscreen functions related to the phone. I have a Blackberry but it does not matter what type of cellphone as the Golf does not support any phones on the touchscreen. When I pointed out that the owners/users manual for the RNS 510 includes descriptions of the phonebook and other touchscreen functions the representative informed me in no uncertain terms that not everything in the manual applies. (HUH?) All the buttons are on the face of the unit so it must be the right equipment installed in the console, so what gives?

In the interest of full disclosure when I took the car back within days of delivery the bluetooth module was replaced and viola the phonebook and related functions were there but I had an intermitant problem with not being able to change the satelite radio stations and sometimes the FM stations as well. Now I am back to the "correct" module so that the radio stations work but the phone functions do not. At this point point all I can say is I am perplexed and more than a little irritated that a manufacturer will not commit to making a piece of equipment work as described in their own publications.

I am open to suggestions. The phonebook feature is very important to me because it allowed me to dial the most frequently dial numbers with the touch of a single button on the touchscreen instead of digging my phone out and scrolling through the addressbook.

11. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    That is very curious that the phone functions worked ever. Your 2010 Golf comes with a 9w2 module that does not support phone functions. The owner's manual disclaimer says not everything in the manual applies because they print the same manual for all models, regardless of trim level.

You have to swap the 9w2 bluetooth module for the 2011 Golf's 9w7 model. My guess is that this is what the dealer did. It does not affect sat radio or FM at all. If they refuse to do it, buy the 9w7 moduel. The forum sponsor mfd3.com sells them for much cheaper than your dealer can sell it for and it's a 5 minute installation. There's a video in the mk6 FAQ showing how to do it and features of 9w7 bluetooth:
    http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a6/voice-control-VW-Golf-JSW.htm
    http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a6/9w7-VW-bluetooth-module.htm

Many have complained about this but you don't have much recourse unless the dealer lied and said it could do "X" when it couldn't.

12. grizzly

grizzly New Member

Good luck getting the dealer to pay for the upgrade even if the salesman did mess up and say the car had a feature when it didn't. It'll be your word against theirs. You can ask but if they say no, save yourself the time and aggravation and move on by getting the upgraded module.

13. PlanoVWguy

PlanoVWguy New Member

Car:
    2010 VW Golf
    Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!

With this information I think I can convince VW to make the switch. My salesman was a disaster looking for a place to happen. Much of what he told me was not quite right. I am no longer surprised by anything. I mentioned my 18 hour ownership. That was owing to the salesman putting regular unleaded in the TDI that I picked out. Two returns (one on a tow truck) for service in 12 hours and 78 miles later VW replaced the car. They could not find an exact match so encouraged me to accept the one I now have. I love the car but the phone/radio situation is unacceptable when the commute is over 50 miles each way.

Fortunately the service people have been outstanding for the most part. They have their hands tied by corporate.

14. Jenchy

Jenchy New Member

Car:
    2011 JSW
    HTC HD7/Surround works

This is a new windows phone 7 and it is working just fine with my 2011 Golf wagon (CA - jetta sportwagen US). I've got my phone book, etc, streaming music (but the RNS315 doesn't allow me to navigate my phone's audio list).

15. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    You have the phone book on the RNS315 screen right?

16. canadamaxxer

canadamaxxer New Member

Car:
    2011 TDI Golf Wagon
    My Blackberry 9530 works flawlessly with my '11 golf sportwagon. It took a bit for the initial sync up to work (a hold-your-lips-just-right-and-it'll-work situation), but since the initial sync, it connects without a hiccup.

17. SmokeyPete

SmokeyPete New Member

Car:
    Jetta TDI Cup Edition 2010
    Mods:
    Currently Stock
    Moment

Samsung Moment with Android 2.1 OS on Sprint

Synch'd with my 2010 jetta TDI Cup Edition RCD-510

Phonebook downloaded and works however sometimes list of recent callers seems to disapear sporatically. Quite usableotherwise though.

18. Mentor

Mentor New Member

Car:
    Golf TDI 2011
    HTV EVO 4G (Sprint). Initially pairs but then fails to stay connected. Not sure if it's a address book issue. Tested with my wife's iPhone 3G phone and it worked without any issues.

19. phillips54

phillips54 New Member

Car:
    2011 Jetta TDI
    2011 Jetta w/RNS 510 - HTC Legend 2.1 on Bell Mobility mates with no probs. Haven't streamed media yet though..

20. pekosROB

pekosROB New Member

Car:
    2011 VW Golf TDi
    My HTC Evo works perfectly, music and calls.

Did you connect with bluetooth first, then open up Pandora or a media player on the phone after? Once you have it playing, no sound should come from the phone. Only after then will it let you click on BT for the Media source. I couldn't get it to work til I did it just like that and it works flawlessly.