98 AHU TDI WON'T TAKE THROTTLE

Discussion in 'VW Mk3 Jetta, Passat TDI and other/older diesels' started by MK3di, Jan 20, 2017.

1. MK3di

MK3di New Member

Car:
    98 VW Jetta TDI
    I have a 98 jetta tdi that I recently purchased non running from a friend. I was told it ran until it sat for a few months and then he couldn't get it started and got frustrated and sold it to me. I finally got the pump all primed and the car will now start and idle with the initial assistance of starting fluid. Once idling the glow plug light continues to flash and is followed by a constant cel light. The engine won't take throttle over 2k rpm and it takes a lot of feathering to get it up to that point. I tested for voltage between the two leads of the glow plug harness. not sure if there should be voltage there or not, but there is no voltage between the two leads. The 50 amp glowplug fuse is good. I'm new to these engines and I'm not sure of the next route I should take. VCDS is being purchased in the near future.

login to remove this ad
  2. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    bends rods

Eric Delling likes this.
  3. Eric Delling

Eric Delling New Member

Car:
    2005 Passat TDI
    It is a very bad Idea to use starting fluid in a diesel motor. Can you pull a regular obd2 code for us? A generic scan code could Be pretty useful