2nd Transmission & Clutch on a 2012 Jetta TDI 6 Speed Manual

Discussion in 'VW Mk6 Golf, Jetta, Beetle, Sportwagen TDI forum' started by canadianjetta, Feb 16, 2017.

1. canadianjetta

canadianjetta New Member

Car:
    2012 Jetta TDI Manual
    Mods:
    European Turbo and bypass
    I have a 2012 Jetta TDI that the turbo went on it. So instead of the stock turbo, the european one was put in giving me more power and better gas mileage. Because of the increase in power, after getting shudder/slip in 6th, it became necessary to put in a South Bend Stage 2 clutch. That solved that problem.

Almost a year later 5th gear started to grind on shifting causing me to skip 5th. Then I was about to take the car in for creeping in gear, but the clutch let go completely leaving me stranded. I towed it to the shop and was GREATLY surprised by the people at South Bend that replaced the failed clutch under warranty. At that time, I decided since the tranny was out I'd replace it with used one from the wreckers with low mileage. Worked great & solved my grinding problem.

Now less than a few months since the replacements were put in, 3rd gear started to grind on shifting and subsequently 4th has now joined the process. I have been skipping these although 4th can be shifted into when the speeds line up as it's difficult to pull from 5th. One comment I can make is that you can't shift into any gear from a clutch pedal up condition, but 3rd grinds even when avoiding it if you're passing by too close on a shift and 4th can be shifted into with no clutch and have the stick bounce?

I'm not missing shifts and have had plenty of standards over the years with lots of miles on them? I'm just trying to figure out if it's a hydraulic problem as the car has just shy of 200,000 miles on it and maybe the master or slave cylinder is not fully pushing back the clutch? Also comments as to whether the transmission shop just used gear oil and should have been using the VW transmission oil for the swap out? I'm not sure as it's been 2 different transmissions so far. I'm also curious as to whether a regular transmission should be put in place or because of the increased power/torque that some kind of beefed-up syncromesh should be put in place. I've had some telling me that maybe that year of car had plastic syncros and I should be looking for some other stronger type?

Any help or feedback is appreciated. I only want to take this out one more time and put it in corrected. I toyed with getting replacement oil from VW or buying a slave or master replacement cylinder(s), but most mechanics say "no", if it's grinding the syncros are shot?

Help!

Thanks in advance!

login to remove this ad
  2. xeno555

xeno555 Well-Known Member

Car:
    2012 TDI Tech Package 6mt
    Mods:
    Malone Stage II. Rawtek 3" from Turbo to Tail. Slammed on Koni. TSW Nurmburg Rims. Whiteline Sway & Ends. Panzer Plate.
    I think VW uses steel syncro, which need special fluid or they 'wear down' fast.

3. DubFamily

DubFamily Active Member

Car:
    2014 BMW 328D xDrive
    Mods:
    '12 Golf TDI sold to VW 2/8/17
    VW synchros are brass (yellow metal) so many modern transmission fluids (GL 5) will harm those. That's why VW specifies GL 4 transmission fluids. If you shop has been using GL5 it likely damaged your synchros and that's causing the issues.

4. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
  5. xeno555

xeno555 Well-Known Member

Car:
    2012 TDI Tech Package 6mt
    Mods:
    Malone Stage II. Rawtek 3" from Turbo to Tail. Slammed on Koni. TSW Nurmburg Rims. Whiteline Sway & Ends. Panzer Plate.
  6. thzpcs

thzpcs Member

Car:
    2008 Golf TDI