2012 VW Passat TDI official prices paid and buying experience thread

Discussion in '2012-2016 VW Passat TDI forum' started by 69mach1377, Jul 28, 2011.

1. cerisecons

cerisecons Member

Car:
    2013 VW Passat TDI SE
    Excellent deal Bill, got my two at Mossy VW in EC.

login to remove this ad
  2. Outta Control

Outta Control New Member

Car:
    VW Passat SE 2014
    I better chime in also. Bought this beauty on Holloween day (enter in Ministry's song). A 2014 TDI SE Sunroof/NAV. Originally we were eyeing a SE in Blue/Cornsilk combo with only Sunroof. It was very nice indeed but having a 10 and 4 year old I don't see the cornsilk lasting that long in its beauty then I saw another one and it seems very rare to find a Platinum Gray with Moonrock Gray interior in the TDI version in the NorCal area.

Anyways like all the sticker was $31,465 worked on knocking it down t0 $26,465 OTD

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

cerisecons and CPJ like this.
  3. Bill anderson

Bill anderson New Member

Car:
    2014 Passat TDI SE Sunroof
    Mods:
    None
    Great deal, got to love those year end close out specials. I love my tdi do far, great mileage, quiet and lots of room.

4. grimjet

grimjet New Member

Car:
    2014 VW Passat TDI
    First time poster. Just picked up a New 2014 TDI SE sunroof/nav. Went in originally for a 2015 premium. Blue with the cornsilk interior knowing the would heavily discount the 2014. Other car I was looking at was the Toyota Camry XLE loaded w/ V6. Sticker for the 2014 TDI was $31790, settled at $27888. Its candy white w/ cornsilk. Really happy with it.

5. Outta Control

Outta Control New Member

Car:
    VW Passat SE 2014
    Nice and congrats!!!

6. CPJ

CPJ Member

Car:
    2015 Volkswagon Passat TDI SEL
    2015 Passat SEL TDI purchased Nov 1st. Stickered at 35,050. Traded in = 2012 Honda Civic EX w/Nav. After dealing with 3 different dealerships including the A**holes at Garbage VW Mall of Georgia (Gunther), I finally settled in at a somewhat local VW dealership and got the payment I wanted. 31200.00 13K for my trade and with 9K payoff and the fees, 28200 OTD. Very happy with my experience.

Word of advice to anybody out there looking to by a Passat or just any VW, use TrueCar or USAA.com's buying service in case you have a checking account or you are a member of USAA, use zipcodes in other major cities to see if you can get the lowest price possible. There are 2 dealerships close to me in the state of FL that state on their website that they honor ALL USAA pricing. The dealership I bought from stated that on their website but it took some work to get them close to the lowest price I found. Just FYI, Lee VW in Ft. Walton beach says the same thing on their site but I found out about them after my purchase.

The following Dealerships I did the zipcode search on to get low prices to use and shop other dealerships with -

Garbage VW Mall of Georgia (Gunther) in Buford GA. (I call them Garbage because the Internet Sales Mgr Jen Bames was a complete Douche with 1100.00 in dealer fees)
    Gunther VW in I can't remember what city in Florida. 699.00 in dealer fees (I think)
    Rick Case VW in Miami. (699.00 in dealer fees)
    Serra VW in Bham AL. (699.99 in dealerfees)
    Alexandra VW in DC (not sure ab dealerfees)

Passat.jpg photo 2 (1).JPG
    Back.JPG

jhinsc likes this.
  7. jhinsc

jhinsc Active Member

Car:
    2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium
    Mods:
    LED's for DRL's, front turn signals, tail and brake lights.
    I second what CPJ says. Use multiple sources and zip codes to get the best pricing - be sure to use zip codes of cites/locations you're willing to drive to if that's the best deal you can get. I almost ended up driving to Charlotte, NC, a nearly 4 hour drive from where I live in SC as the farthest destination, but my local dealer - one and only in my city - finally matched. Don't get too hung up on the dealer fees, whether it's $299 or $699 you see on the USAA or Truecar websites, it's the total OTD price you're looking for after all fees, taxes, DMV, etc. Taxes will apply for where you live so that's easy to calculate. For SC, we're fortunate that sales tax on cars are capped at $300 - I know, great as it is, but have you seen our roads? lol We also have one of the lowest per gallon state taxes - again, have you seen our roads? lol When I purchased, I didn't have a trade since it was totaled, hence needing a new car, so my deal was pretty straight forward and very easy for me to say "match or I'll drive to Charlotte". Next time I buy, I'll make sure I sell my current vehicle on my own to get as much as I can, then go out and buy what I want, assuming some idiot didn't crash into me and total it.

I'm not about screwing a dealer and I don't call them "stealerships" as some people do - I WANT them to make a profit because I WANT them to be there for me for service, and they provide jobs, etc to the economy, etc. Just like appliances, TV's, or furniture, get the best deal you can - you know they're still making a profit.

PS - almost forgot - CPJ - beautiful car! I hope you're enjoying it as much as I am mine!

8. CPJ

CPJ Member

Car:

I'm with you, I know the dealerships need to make a profit, they are a business but at the same time I get irritated when they say "we took a loss" when selling it at 31200.00.. I do not believe that at all... even if they sold the car at 29K there is no way they took a loss..

there is a difference between a loss and not making the profit you want to make..

9. Outta Control

Outta Control New Member

Car:
    VW Passat SE 2014
    Agreed. I do not work for a dealership but I do have experience in manufacturer sales and I don't see any major differences between the two. Being that I am sure dealership has incentive kick backs that they get from corporate. This is true because everytime you go to purchase a car they always, always want you to fill out their credit app. Irregardless if you already have your financing. One program I do know they get a large spiffs are on leases. That is why you see a lot of advertisement on special lease terms. This supports VW Financial and the dealer wins the spiff for the most leases generated. Another way they can recoup revenue is typically through dealership spiffs or contest per say.

Corporate may offer $$$ kickbacks for the most late model car sold in September- December or on new car for that matter. The most notorious ones I've seen is VW's "Sign and Drive" campaign which happened every November and also Lexus does theirs every December. It is the one they offer a huge bow on newly purchased vehicle. I am sure y'all have seen the commercials. Corporate can even offer incentives to dealers through specific model and which dealers sold the most.

Another one is on known slow days such as when we bought ours. It was at the end of the month and it was Halloween. When was the last time you have shopped for a car on Halloween. In fact when I was at the dealer I was the only customer among a large pool of sales folks but you have to love their pitch of saying they expect a crowd to show on that day. <rolleyes>

On a local level dealerships support their overall profits through car repairs. I am quite sure corporate also does kickbacks on that. You see those flyers coupons for services, tire-rotation, etc. So see it as a hook for them to find problems with your vehicle but also it allows corporate to find any defective part patterns or to keep past customers to stay with them for any service.

I have nothing against dealerships or how they act. It is only a game to them to maximize their profits. Now if you show that you can play the same game it becomes a fair and equal playing field.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  10. CPJ

CPJ Member

Car:

Im with you on that OC. When I was dealing with the other dealerships and getting close to just giving up and waiting, I called Dean McCrary as the last resort and asked the salesguy I was dealing with "what is the absolute lowest price you can sell the Passat for?" He had the audacity to send me a pic of the "dealer invoice" of the car I wanted.. Sticker = 35,050 "Invoice" = 33,000.. I think that is a bunch of horseshit.. I do not understand how any dealership expects me or anyone to believe that they paid 2K less than MSRP for a car.....

This is just my guess but I think if the above is true and thats a gigantic monstrous size if, the dealership is getting a bigger holdback. When I did my USAA.com pricing and put in the zip for Rick Case VW in Miami, the price for an SEL TDI with no options selected was 29,628.. I then went back and added the alarm kit for 325.00, 29,878. now, if they all bought the cars from the same source at the same price, how can one dealership sell for that low and the other can't sell for anything less than 33K?

Outta, it seems a buyer with a combination of buyers education and research and good credit is a dealership's worse nightmare.. You are right, it is a game and I will never believe the "we gotta keep the lights on" spiel..

Lies.jpg

11. CPJ

CPJ Member

Car:
    oh and btw Outta, your passat, nice color choice! I do envy you for having the Conti's!

12. Outta Control

Outta Control New Member

Car:
    VW Passat SE 2014
    LOL Thanks CPJ. When I get sheets like what you showed me may actually be true but one has to remember they may pay that amount ahead but from my experience the sooner they can "move" these cars the bigger and better the incentive that dealership make. In the corporat'se perspective they want the dealer that can close a lot of cars and if they go over their sales of a particular model they set for the dealer they will get that kickback. Let's say that the dealer did get that $33K/Passat on the promised sales goal of 7 in that model and let's say they broke their goal of 7 and sold 10 Passats.

Now based on exceeding their sales goal corporate gave them a 20% kickback that is about $66K back to the dealer and possibly some further reduced cost to them on future orders but let's not stop their out of the 10 how many were VW financed or Lease deal then VW creddit will kick back more $$. Again these are just hypothetical numbers and I am just basing this off my past sales experience.

13. CPJ

CPJ Member

Car:

That does make sense and could be true, but when I see stuff like the below which i've seen alot its hard for me to believe a dealership paid 33K and can't sell me the car for anything lower because "they need to keep the lights on". I hope everything that we post helps others be able to get this great car to enjoy w/o getting bent over.

vw.jpg

14. lwt42

lwt42 Well-Known Member

Car:
    There are lots of reasons that a dealer might not be able to "keep the lights on" and sell below invoice.

Others have talked about spiffs and incentives. A dealer doing volume is going to be able to plan on (and survive off of) the incentives.

A dealer with high-costs and low volume isn't going to survive unless they get top dollar.

On the other hand, some of those high-volume dealers are based on getting the customer in, getting their money, and getting them out the door.

I was able to find a dealer that's very supportive, and gave me a good price. Their service department has been very supportive as well, far better than I'd expect from the high-volume jerks a few miles away.

15. CPJ

CPJ Member

Car:
    And thats the thing? a dealer with high costs, what makes them think that people are going to do bizness with them when there are others out there who are volume and can afford to discount? Only a fool will deal with a dealership with high costs.. and they can't expect me to buy from them.

16. lwt42

lwt42 Well-Known Member

Car:
    I admit that I'm price sensitive. I want a reasonable deal.

I'm far more sensitive to being treated like an idiot. I don't like being manipulated. If I asked a dealer what his lowest price was and he pulled a copy of the invoice I'd walk.

Not because they "can't afford to discount" but because it's common knowledge that "invoice" doesn't mean much.

I have a 2013 because the Passat was the Car and Driver 2012 Car of the Year, and as a result dealers were having trouble keeping them in stock. One dealer quoted $2,000 over sticker for a 2012 (and didn't have exactly what I wanted). A TDI Passat was hard to find on dealer lots.

I contacted more than a dozen dealers' "Internet Sales" and told them what date I was going to buy, what I wanted, and asked what they could do for price. The dealer who sold me my car was one of two who took the time to understand what I was saying, and give me a decent price. Others said "It's a great day to buy, call to make an appointment!"

One E-Mailed back about deals on gasoline Jettas, when I said I wanted a Grey Passat TDI SEL. Others said "now, what car did you want?"

Make an appointment to give you money? I'm the customer.

I might have paid less at one of the high-pressure high-volume dealers, but who knows what they would have trumped up to make up for their lowball price.

17. CPJ

CPJ Member

Car:

And that's what Garbage VW Mall of Georgia (Gunther) did, treated my like an "idiot".. and they lost my business.

18. Bayouboy81

Bayouboy81 New Member

Car:
    2012 VW Passat SEL TDI
    Didn't buy new, just bought a 2012 tdi SEL premium with 58k miles. Candy white and Titan black. Car was the GM's car. It looks brand new. No bug/rock chips or scratches. Paid $20,995

19. CPJ

CPJ Member

Car:

Sounds like a good deal... and it seems this car holds its value

20. Bayouboy81

Bayouboy81 New Member

Car:
    2012 VW Passat SEL TDI
    And I forgot to put that it was certified so 2yr/24k miles VW warranty.

CPJ likes this.