2012+ VW Beetle TDI FAQ, buying guide, pics, specs, and latest news

Discussion in 'VW Mk6 Golf, Jetta, Beetle, Sportwagen TDI forum' started by chittychittybangbang, Jun 21, 2011.

1. ChrisHo

ChrisHo Member

Car:
    TDI Beetle Convertible, 2013
    I contacted VW USA through their website and the reply I received stated that TDI models should be available for order in January.

2. TDI2000Zim

TDI2000Zim Member

Car:
    2000 Beetle TDi...!@#$%...'14 Passat TDiSE
    Mods:
    None
    Do they have those 'heritage style hubcap wheels' in size 17"???

3. ChrisHo

ChrisHo Member

Car:
    I thought that that was the size of those wheels.

4. TDI2000Zim

TDI2000Zim Member

Car:
    2000 Beetle TDi...!@#$%...'14 Passat TDiSE
    Mods:
    None
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2012
  5. ChrisHo

ChrisHo Member

Car:
    Well I have put down a one thousand dollar deposit for TDI (manual) Beetle Convertible. Equipment would be the navigation/sound tier. Top is black and body is Toffee.

6. dkoopman

dkoopman New Member

Car:
    13 Beetle TDI & 05 Passat TDI
    Mods:
    05 Passat - Unchained - Tranny Sport Code
    The 2013 Beetle TDI's have arrived. We just took delivery of a yellow coup Friday that rolled off the truck a week earlier. :nana2: Our dealer had one more on the lot and no TDI's in the convertible as yet.

Couldn't get them to swap the alloys out for the heratige rims on one of the '50s he had on the lot. Got some BS story about how they have to sell them the way they get them.:confused:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2012
  7. dkoopman

dkoopman New Member

Car:
    Mods:
  8. dkoopman

dkoopman New Member

Car:
    Mods:
    '13 Beetle TDI w/ DSG

As part of our decision to get the Beetle TDI, both my wife and I drove the Beetle, Passat, Jetta, and 12 Jetta.

One thing that is noticable with the DSG transmission is that the MK6 shifts differently than the Passat even though it is the exact same engine/transmission. I know the GVW is more favorable for them, but I'm also wondering if they have the transmission coded differently between the two. If that is the case, a transmission recode may make the passat a lot more fun to drive.

Another general observation from the buying experience for me was the mix of TDI to gassers the dealer was bringing in to his inventory. This is good news for all of us oil burners because there will be many TDI's to choose from. Back when we bought the 05, TDI's were hard to find in SW FL and dealers willing to deal on them were scarce, too.

9. MelindaJBZ

MelindaJBZ New Member

Car:
    VW Beetle TDI 2013
    2013 Beetle TDI

I just handed over a deposit for a 2013 VW Beetle w/ sunroof. I got the only black one of that trim level in the state. My dealer will be picking it up sometime this weekend and everything will be finalized after the holidays. I am so excited!

10. ChrisHo

ChrisHo Member

Car:
    Sounds awesome, unfortunately for me my order is likely to take a while, apparently manuals are not favored in the build queue for diesel or turbo... and then I had to choose toffee and black...

I would have done the tan top which I think looks better but far too many pieces remain black in the interior cheapening the overall appearance

11. ChrisHo

ChrisHo Member

Car:
    Adding picture of mine to this thread....

some notes : The top does go down and back up very quickly, especially compared to all previous verts I have owned. You can do so up to speeds of 31 miles per hour. The only unfortunate is that you have to hold the button the whole time.

Keyless entry and start is awesome. Don't even need the fob to lock the doors either, the indent on the door handle can be pressed while outside the car to lock it.

The rear headrests are too large and if you don't regularly carry passengers I suggest removing them; instructions in manual; and storing them in the trunk or at home.

The Fender stereo is very very clear and sounds great overall. My model came with the iPod connector in the lower glove compartment. I have heard the some models do not have this cable so check before you buy the cable. DAMHIK

Very surprised and pleased at how quiet this car is with the top up, quieter than my Mustang convertible, my previous hardtop and softop Miatas too.

Best VW accessories pricing I have found is keffervw on the web. The wind blocker is 450 at my dealer, 337 from them!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2013
  12. melorocsit

melorocsit New Member

Car:
    2012 Volkswagen Golf TDI
    VW TDI Rims ADVICE PLEASE

I wanted to see if anyone has suggestions on rims for my United Gray TDI. I really like 5, 6, or 7 spoke rims. Motegi makes a style FF7 thats EXACTLY what I want but it doesnt fit the bolt pattern. Does anyone know of a similar style? or a way to make it fit? My budget is $500 on the wheels without tires.

Thanks!
    Victor

This is the Motegi FF7

[​IMG]

13. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Do new cars with ipod connectors come with ipod5 or older ipod connectors?

14. ChrisHo

ChrisHo Member

Car:
    Mine came with the older connector, the "long edge" one.

I have heard some reports that not all Beetles came with the cable, but its best to check once you take delivery as it will be in the lower glove box if they gave it to you.

Oh, I would suggest just ditching the iPod. Go with a SD card. Must faster, smaller, and not thief bait.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2013
  15. 79_Limited

79_Limited New Member

Car:
    2013 Beetle TDI
    Here is a pic of mine I picked up a few months ago. This is my third Beetle. Had a 2002 gasser and a 2008 gasser convertible. Like this one the best so far!

Attached Files:

16. caseyfriday

caseyfriday New Member

Car:
    06 NB TDI
    Anyone have feedback on how the Fender audio system compares to Dynaudio/Monsoon? I love the Monsoon system in my 06, and I wouldn't replace it with aftermarket.

17. 79_Limited

79_Limited New Member

Car:
    2013 Beetle TDI
    I heard the Dynaaudio in a new Golf the other day and like my Fender a little better in the Beetle. The Fender seems well tuned to the Beetle cabin.

To be fair I was just test driving the Golf and did not spend as much time with the Dynaudio. I believe it has on board DSP so I'm sure it is highly tunable.