2012+ VW Beetle TDI FAQ, buying guide, pics, specs, and latest news

Discussion in 'VW Mk6 Golf, Jetta, Beetle, Sportwagen TDI forum' started by chittychittybangbang, Jun 21, 2011.

1. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a6/2012-beetle-tdi-buying-guide-review.htm

The buying guide for the 2012 Beetle is now up (link above). Not all specs have been released yet but when they are, they will be added to the buying guide. From now on, most articles will also use a lightbox, or popup thumbnail window, for large pictures, so click the pics to enlarge.

Why include the Beetle in this section instead of it's own section? It shares enough with the Golf, Jetta, Sportwagen that many topics will apply to all models even though they look different.

login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Added some pictures to the buying guide of the stereo system and dimensinos

3. pearlgolf

pearlgolf Member

I'm surprised there isn't more talk about the New Beetle. The first one was one of VW's most popular cars when it first came out. No more flower vase in this one? That's a good first step ;)

4. ChrisHo

ChrisHo Member

Car:
    TDI Beetle Convertible, 2013
    Could not get a firm date from my dealer on when this car will be available. Read some reviews stating wind noise was an issue but I have not test driven one, as I am only interested in the TDI version. Not a real fan of that dash and hoping alternative inserts are available.

5. 1analguy

1analguy Member

Car:
    2011 Golf TDI 2dr 6-speed
    Mods:
    205/65-15 LRRs On MSW Type 15s, Euro Switch, Euro
    The outside of the car is a major improvement, but I think the interior still looks cheap with all that body-colored plastic. I understand what they were trying to accomplish with the whole nostalgia thing, but it's time for this car to succeed on its own modern merits. For what they're charging for the car, the raw interior feel just doesn't cut it. If it wasn't for the interior I might consider buying one, but as it is...no thanks. JMO

6. ChrisHo

ChrisHo Member

Car:
    supposedly the convertible goes on sale in December.... and here I am with a 2013 Mustang convertible... well it may not last a year

7. ChrisHo

ChrisHo Member

Car:
  8. ChrisHo

ChrisHo Member

Car:
    So looking on the VW site the Diesel cannot be equipped with Bi-Xeon lights? Worse, the Turbo model indicates Beetles having rear disc brakes but the Diesel equipped models do not. Top it off, no fog lamps on diesel versions.

With the Golf the diesel versions usually had top line gear, like the GTI versions. This is not being done on Beetles. While I am waiting on the diesel convertible, if its option restricted like this I will most likely not buy.

9. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    nope. I will check out the rear brakes and see if I can find some more specs.

10. ChrisHo

ChrisHo Member

Car:
    I am already hesitant as this is built on the cheapened Mark VI frame.... would hate to think that the diesel version is denied options but it explains the large price diff between diesel and turbo versions

11. ChrisHo

ChrisHo Member

Car:
    Found rear brakes are disc... but the real issue is, no HID lights. So basically the diesel is no longer a premium entry.

12. ChrisHo

ChrisHo Member

Car:
  13. ChrisHo

ChrisHo Member

Car:
  14. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Love the heritage style hubcap wheels!

I already saw 1 crashed Beetle. Rear ended in the middle of the street, don't know what happened.

15. ChrisHo

ChrisHo Member

Car:
    I am leaning towards a beetle convertible in toffee exactly as pictured in that brochure. Tan top and interior. Now only if it comes to the states that way... but I have seen tan interior shots where the gauge cluster (for turbo/etc) was a black looking wart on the tan dash.

So I guess we await to see what they do for the American versions. I want those wheels. There are supposed to be three distinct styling packages, one representing a decade from the fifties to the seventies.

With the LA Auto show at the end of the month there is not long to wait

16. ChrisHo

ChrisHo Member

Car:
  17. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    love the wheels on the 50s edition

18. ChrisHo

ChrisHo Member

Car:
    http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/28/2013-vw-beetle-convertible-la-2012/

WOW.... if I read that right all convertible Beetles have IRL which the coupes do not?

The only issue I have is the special editions, the decade cars, do not have choice of engines. You get the either the 2.5 lump in the 50s or 70s and the 2.0T in the 60s. You do not get to choose the tranny either

Official vids

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL-WdYQiZj4

First impressions (6 minutes) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDWJar_qryk (Vid is mostly silent)

Beauty shots http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBWeTrXy3O0

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2012
  19. ChrisHo

ChrisHo Member

Car:
  20. ChrisHo

ChrisHo Member

Car: