2012 Passat SEL won't start. please help!

Discussion in '2012-2016 VW Passat TDI forum' started by cookeze, Nov 8, 2016.

1. lwt42

lwt42 Well-Known Member

Car:
    I think I'd also put a battery charger on it just to make sure the battery is completely charged -- also on the theory that it might not help, but it's easy enough to try and it's not wrong.

2. cookeze

cookeze New Member

Car:
    I tried the 24 hr battery disconnect but I still get nothing when I push the start button.....

3. lwt42

lwt42 Well-Known Member

Car:
    I'm not sure where the BCM is located on our cars. One could get a one-day subscription to ERWIN (the VW on-line service manual) and try unplugging and replugging it.

I'd also check with a dealer (esp. the dealer you're using for the return) and see if the service department is sympathetic. We have 3 years of free "roadside assistance" so getting it to the dealer should be free.

I'd try to do that close to your appointment date. Maybe they'd even take it a day or two before, fix the problem, and let you pick it up, drive it out, hang a U and drive back in for your appointment.

4. cookeze

cookeze New Member

Car:
    I was able to get access to a VAG-COM but had no success because the VCDS needs the ignition to turn on before it can work. I had 12V power, but no ignition. Any ideas on how I can get the ignition to come on? Is there a relay that handles the ignition? I checked all the fuses and they are all are good. You guys have been great! Thanks!

Boosted-CHI likes this.
  5. lwt42

lwt42 Well-Known Member

Car:
    It's a catch-22: you need to talk to the BCM to find out why it won't turn on, but the BCM has to be "on" to talk.

The folks at the dealer may be sympathetic and helpful. The parts department should at least be able to show you a diagram locating the part.

6. cookeze

cookeze New Member

Car:
    Since the OBD II port does not work, I wonder if this is covered under the California emissions warranty? They'd have to get the car running to fit it.....

7. lwt42

lwt42 Well-Known Member

Car:
    Either that, or an angry dealer calling VW and getting them to cover what they wouldn't any other time. Worth a try.