2011 + VW Jetta TDI reviews, FAQ, and buying guide

Discussion in 'VW Mk6 Golf, Jetta, Beetle, Sportwagen TDI forum' started by chittychittybangbang, Jul 15, 2010.

1. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    This article describes what's known about the 2011 Jetta TDI. Any reviews and updated information like MSRP or invoice pricing of options will be added as they come up. Right now there are some video reviews comparing the mk5 and mk6 Golf because the mk6 Jetta will probably get some of the changes that were on the mk6 Golf like thicker windshield, glass, more laser welding, and more NVH noise vibration harshness tuning.

Of note are the more curvy mk6 Golf style dashboard and mk6 side view mirrors that are now on the Jetta sedan TDI. My best guess is that the 2011 Jetta TDI sportwagen will keep the mk5 style side view mirrors for a while. There are supposedly significant differences that are under the door panel that aren't readily visible. This was one of the reasons why the Dynaudio was available on the new Golf and not the old Jetta for 2010. This may change for the new 2011 Jetta TDI.

Also, the RNS510 GPS system is still available on the Jetta. The RNS 315 GPS VW system is the replacement on the Golf but I see no reason why you couldn't add either one to either car as parts after your purchase.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a6/2011-VW-Jetta-TDI-buying-guide-reviews.htm

2. YBDavy

YBDavy New Member

No more news on the coupe then,, I'll check the page again but list the changes as you make them so that it'll be easier to spot them.

3. Gruppe d

Gruppe d New Member

4. Mrryan

Mrryan New Member

Wow. How much does the extra 1/2" of screen space cost? I actually like it when something is plain and simple but not when it looks like something is missing. That's what makes the ignition slot blank and the half screen look really cheap. Or is the ignition slot blank actually a slot where you have to insert the key?

5. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    article updated for most current info from the info in this thread:
    http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2742

Here are some of the additions:
    There are only 2 trim levels: TDI and TDI with the nav package. Dealer installed options like body kits or floor mats will be extra.
    Standard TDI trim level:
    4 wheel disc brakes, 16" "mambo" alloy wheels, trip computer, sunroof, RCD 510 touchscreen 6cd changer radio w/SD card reader, cold weather package (heated front seats and windshield nozzles), leatherette (v-tex vinyl) seats, leather multifunction steering wheel, parking brake, and shift knob, bluetooth, MDI ipod cable, Sirius radio, keyless entry, and 6 speaker sound system.

Safety equipment: front, side, and head curtain airbags, ESP (stability control), ABS, TMPS (tire pressure monitor sensors), LATCH (child seat anchors).

Navigation package ($1200 MSRP)
    : this is the only factory installed option package on the Jetta TDI trim level. You can add dealer installed options like all weather floormats or body kits later. This adds: RNS 315 GPS navigation w/SD card reader, foglights, chrome trim on the grille and windows, keyless access with engine start button, and driver's seat lumbar adjustment. See 1000q: RNS 315 GPS FAQ for more info on the GPS system.

Official pricing for 2011 VW Jetta TDI sedan
    Destination fee of $770 not included in the prices below.

MSRP in US$
    6 speed manual VW Jetta TDI 22,995
    DSG (auto) VW Jetta TDI 24,095
    6 speed manual Jetta TDI w/nav package 24,195
    DSG (auto) Jetta TDI w/nav package 25,295

6. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    After checking the numbers, the standard 2011 VW Jetta TDI (no nav package) will be about $1000 less than the 2010 VW Jetta TDI.

However, it loses such premium features like:
    -independent rear suspension
    -110V (household) outlet in the rear of the armrest center console (assuming this because it's not listed)
    -removal of standard lumbar adjustment on driver/passenger seats. The nav package adds driver lumbar.
    -water and fuel gauges - they are now in the MFD (instrument cluster display)
    -VW Jetta trunk hinges used to be more expensive articulated units that took up less room (on left). The 2011 Jetta TDI (on right) now uses a simple arm hinge that swings inside the trunk when closed. The trunk also gets plastic and painted metal instead of full carpeting lining. Instead of trunk struts on both left and right sides, there's 1 trunk opening strut on the right side of the inside-roof of the trunk.
    -shopping bag holder in the trunk (the cloth loop hanging down in the pic left). It's not clear if the 2011 has a similar device.
    [​IMG]

7. pearlgolf

pearlgolf Member

Is it just me or does the front edge of the trunk on the new style look really close to the glass?

8. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Some more info from a post by Turbo Paul @ millenium vw , added to the buying guide.

The tire pressure monitor sensors are no longer actual temperature/pressure sensors in each wheel. It now works off a calculated value off the ABS sensors. If the wheel senses a decrease in rotating diameter, it assumes that it's deflated.

The seat back tilt control is now manual instead of electric.

The glove box is now dyed bare plastic instead of lined with felt.

Strangely enough, there's a full sized spare tire instead of a space saver spare. If you want to cut costs, cut the full sized spare tire.

9. rytlewski

rytlewski New Member

Car:
    bmw z3 2002, vw jetta tdi 2010
    Mods:
    stock
    Good posts guys! Makes us 2010 owners glad we didn't wait.

10. glennmax

glennmax Member

Car:
    Golf VI
    I wonder how this system would deal with a complete wheel/tire package, upgrade or swap, that is not exactly the original stock diameter?

hmm.

11. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    There's a reset button in the glove box. Once you fix the problem, change the air pressure, or change wheel/tires, you press the button and the system learns the new values. This is how all the older TPMS systems on VW are. The advantage is that it works and you don't have to buy new TPMS sensors every 4-7 years. You can buy a set of used sensors for $100 but I believe 4 new sensors are over$300. The batteries in the sensors are not serviceable and the more you drive and the older they are, the more they drain. I don't know either way if it's as accurate or can react as fast.

12. WebeV

WebeV New Member

There is one advantage. If you don't have the wireless sensors you can't be tracked through them or somehow hack them wirelessly: http://arstechnica.com/security/news/2010/08/cars-hacked-through-wireless-tyre-sensors.ars

Would it be possible to do an attack over bluetooth or another wireless system? I doubt it but it's an interesting idea. If someone could get physical access to your car like a valet, they could put in a self erasing firmware which could do these: http://arstechnica.com/security/new...uld-turn-commutes-into-a-scene-from-speed.ars

13. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    I learned some more exclusive information on the 2011 Jetta TDI North American version from VW. This is straight from VW for public release that you will not find anywhere else because nobody else bothers to publish boring stats like these in their new 2011 VW Jetta TDI reviews.

0-60 at curb weight + 441 lbs (200kg) is 9.1 seconds for manual, 8.7 for DSG.
    forecast EPA mpg is 30/41 with manual, 30/42 with DSG, bin5 emissions. This is unchanged.
    18 cu ft of trunk volume. This is about 2 cu ft more than the last car.
    fuel tank capacity is 14.53 L.
    Forecast curb weight is 3,167 lbs with manual, 3217 with DSG. The manual is 63 lbs. lighter than the last car and the DSG is 68 lbs lighter.

14. ~InNat~

~InNat~ New Member

Fyi, the Canadian build configurator is out.

15. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Thanks, I'm already working on it.

Here is canada specific info on the 2011 VW Golf wagon TDI that I found as well but it's pretty low res.

Attached Files:

16. JettaBug

JettaBug New Member

Car:
    2002 Jetta TDI
    I was very excited to hear about the new body style. I was contimplating trading in my older 2002 Jetta TDI (350,000 Miles) for a new one. Should I go for it or put more $$ into my current one?

17. WebeV

WebeV New Member

It's going to be a huge jump. How did you build such high mileage?

18. JettaBug

JettaBug New Member

Car:
    2002 Jetta TDI
    I commute to work (200 Plus Miles Round trip) 5 days a week. About how many miles should I expect out of my 2002 TDI?

19. Angelo

Angelo New Member

Car:
    jetta/2006
    New 2012 Jetta in AUstralia

I have seen some of the new features for the 2012 Jetta in Australia and am not sure if updating from my 2006 JettaTDi is worth the trouble. May need to look elsewhere.

20. alex1002

alex1002 New Member

Car:
    Jetta/2012
    Is the RNS510 GPS much better then RNS 315.