2011 Golf TDI Yellow Wrench (unseen anywhere online) and Limp Mode?

Discussion in 'VW Mk6 Golf, Jetta, Beetle, Sportwagen TDI forum' started by runningboy93, Jan 27, 2017.

1. runningboy93

runningboy93 New Member

Car:
    VW Golf TDI
    Mods:
    "technician car" built special for technician serving time in US. Special tires, upgraded headlights and audio system. Otherwise unsure
    Driving home this morning my Golf TDI slowed speed seemingly in first or second gear. I couldn't change gears using paddles or manual shifting on gearstick. the car is automatic.
    And then there was a yellow diagonal wrench flashing, located in the space of the instrument cluster where the gear selected appears. So, in lieu of a D I had an intermittently flashing yellow wrench, which, I kid you not, in the manual, or anywhere online I cannot find to clip to show to you. The warning is unable to be found so far anywhere.
    Drove about 2 miles home at about 25 mph, keeping RPMs around 2000.
    Arriving home I couldn't put the car in reverse.
    Drove around the block to find somewhere to park that didn't require reverse.
    Turned car off, waited a few moments, turned on, reverse worked, wrench gone.

OK, few q's:
    1) from my rudimentary research this is limp mode. Presuming a problem, do I have enough functionality to drive 7 miles to my former dealer/repair place or should I just go 4 blocks to good repair shop, but not a dealer?
    2) Why can't I find this icon anywhere? I bought a "technicians car" that he had customized for himself as part of the deal to come work in US for a period of time. Is that why? Is it a German-based warning indicator?
    3) I just needed to install a new battery which I found odd after only 5 years. OK, was told I needed new vents in two places and decided to have oil change done at non-dealer repair place. Also needed to have car towed there initially. Could any of these impacted the car to produce a warning like this? Evidently we don't know what this is yet, but ideas?
    4) Any estimate of what this may be? Again, no other warning lights were on, no numbers, nothing except the wrench above the D sign indicating Drive.

Thanks in advance for any help.

login to remove this ad
  2. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
  3. runningboy93

runningboy93 New Member

Car:
    VW Golf TDI
    Mods:
    "technician car" built special for technician serving time in US. Special tires, upgraded headlights and audio system. Otherwise unsure
    Thanks, will do and share results. I know you can't diagnose from afar, but there were no other apparent signs or issues, do you think I can drive it the 7 miles to my dealer or will that really aggravate matters?
    All best.

I finally found it and I don't know why any other Google searches were so useless. The manual, incidentally, doesn't have it listed.

Attached Files:

4. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    As I've said that's the service indicator which is white not yellow. The picture you've posted is after its been reset depending of the PR code on the data sticker.
    You can drive as far as you want with the service indicator on.

5. runningboy93

runningboy93 New Member

Car:
    VW Golf TDI
    Mods:
    Well. That particular icon is conspicuously absent from the VW manual, which, at 2:00 in the morning, is all I had to attempt to understand the issue. And any cursory scan of vw signals, etc. online has all activity occurring on speedometer, tach, etc., nothing even showing that shape as the attached image will attest. the earlier one uploaded was something I finally found on the web. But that's not the issue.
    Report from service center is that it could not be reproduced and there were no error codes or anything else generated by their scan. As it didn't happen this morning when I took the car for service, he's suggested that by restarting the car it may have reset the warning, but no signs of any problems.
    At the risk of asking for any further input, any thoughts?

Attached Files:

6. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    That picture show all warning light none of them none are a wrench/spanner.