2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition: Do VW Buyback? Get the Emissions Fix and Restitution? Or Opt Out & Keep?

Discussion in 'General Diesel Discussion' started by 93celicaconv, Feb 12, 2017.

1. 93celicaconv

93celicaconv New Member

Car:
    2010 VW Jetta TDI Cup Edition
    I'm at a crossroads right now, just wondering if this forum has thoughtful inputs to help guide my decision making.

In May 2015, I purchased a dealer sold 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition. It had 77,675 miles at the time. Had all available options (TDI Cup Edition Body Kit, Touchscreen Navigation, DSG, Sunroof, Wing Spoiler, Mat Kit, Media Device Interface). The car was in excellent condition, with the dealer doing a complete wheel refinish, new Goodyear tires & brakes & rotors, new windshield and new headlight assemblies, and refinished the front and rear bumpers, plus did the DSG oil & filter change, brake flush/replacement, coolant flush and replacement, etc. Paid $17,050 at the time (including a $2,000.00 bumper-to-bumper 3-year warranty extension, plus all taxes). Of course, September 2015 comes along and changes everything.

Today, the car is still slightly under 80,000 miles. I didn't want to drive it in Wisconsin winters, and kept my old car for winter driving and just ended up using it most of the good weather times.

My VW buyback payment would be $17,867 (as any folks with TDI Cup Editions, you either know or will find out the NADA clean trade-in values do not consider key option values on the TDI Cup Edition, namely the Cup Edition Body Kit ($2,350.00 option value), Wing Spoiler ($499.00 option value), Mat Kit ($225.00 option value), and Media Device Interface ($199.00 option value), so $3,273.00 of options on an original window sticker of $32,903.00 (or almost exactly 10%) of the original value of this car is omitted in the NADA clean trade-in value determination. That said, the buy back would cover my total original purchase cost, and I could get back some of the remaining value on my warranty contract.

My VW restitution payment is $5,466.73 (if I take the emissions fix, which hasn't yet been proposed, much less EPA & CARB approved). How much this emissions fix will affect performance and economy, of course, isn't know. Plus, I'm thinking it likely there will be no emissions fix (either offered by VW or accepted by the EPA & CARB), so this option may not exist in the end. I thought a Gen I TDI emissions fix proposal was due by VW on January 27, 2017, but I haven't heard if this deadline was met by VW or not. I have heard a new deadline is now set for March 3, 2017 for the Gen I 2.0L TDI's. Anyone know anything more about this?

Of course, then there is the Opt Out option and just keep it. Given I would have to keep it until the wheels fall off because of how limited my selling options would be (couldn't sell it to regions where emissions testing is done, of course).

Now I also understand Bosch is participating in an additional restitution ($1,500.00 for 3.0L TDI's, and $375.00 for 2.0L TDI's). For the 3.0L TDI's, I understand Bosch is also providing some kind of extended warranty on the engine components, including pumps, injectors, etc. For the 2.0L TDI, this would have a lot of value given the issues associated with the high pressure fuel pump failures. One, I don't know why the 2.0L TDI receives so much less restitution value than the 3.0L TDI owners receive. Two, I don't think the 2.0L TDI owners get a Bosch warranty extension like the 3.0L TDI owners get. Not sure on this, but this is what I am thinking.

So, given all this, anyone out there have any good inputs to help me with my decision process?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Perhaps someone will really want the car down the road? Very annoying that they don't consider the added value from the Cup edition.

3. lwt42

lwt42 Well-Known Member

Car:
    IANAL, but it's worth reading as many of the settlement and court documents as possible.

It is my understanding that you can keep the car until somewhere around May 2018 without having to make a decision. If you are thinking of keeping the car, I'd strongly recommend waiting.

In those states that are part of the settlement (most, not all), if you opt-out at the end, your car may still be registered. It will probably still be required to be testing, and must "pass" (just like it did before VW got caught).

Of course, you won't get any payments from VW if you opt-out.

I don't see any reason to be the first to get the emissions modification. Lots of good reasons to be last.

Do your own research, don't rely on people in forums who are largely making things up. Start here: http://www.cand.uscourts.gov/crb/vwmdl

4. SIF1950

SIF1950 Member

Car:
    Jetta Sportwagen 2014
    I am a retired lawyer and the post reminds me of many discussions I had over the years. One thing to remember is that, absent an actual sale [arms length transaction between a willing seller and willing buyer], value is a matter of opinion. So, although there may be many different pieces of evidence to support such an opinion, it is, at best and inexact process.

There is a subjective part in evaluating value by the various "blue book" compilations by the assessment of condition. The class action settlement avoided this subjectivity by use of top condition for the vehicles. Subjectivity was avoided for ease of administration. So, in one sense, no one was disadvantaged. If your vehicle was in top condition, you received fair compensation in the sense of you got what you would have received on the open market. However, in the sense of comparison to other owners, the car kept in topped condition was not rewarded for keeping the car in top condition.

The addition of extra equipment and features and no compensation therefore was discussed in the hearings before Judge Breyer. However, it was noted that those owners would not be hurt in that the settlement payback plus penalty made sure that such owner was not penalized. [Again, they many not have benefited as much, but they were not hurt].

93celicaconv notes the original list price of the cup and additional features. First of all, we don't know if the original actual sales price gave full list value to those features. Second, those features not only depreciate, they often depreciate faster than the car. Out of idle curiosity, I ran an edmunds evaluation of the vehicle in Los Angeles -- the features noted added value but not as much as you might think.

93celicaconv does note that he is receiving more than he payed for the car two years ago. As noted, if he waits to claim the buyback, he will still receive the same money.

As to why the 3.0 L cars are getting more from Bosch, I have no idea why. Just some idle speculations. In any case, having sold our car back to VW already, we are treating the Bosh settlement as unexpected gravy on what we considered to be a done deal already. We have sold the car back, collected our money, bought the replacement and put some money in the bank.

chittychittybangbang likes this.