200K Replacement order BEW

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by jeffhodge69, May 10, 2017.

1. jeffhodge69

jeffhodge69 Member

Car:
    2006 Golf TDI
    Mods:
    Green Diesel Engineering Tune, Diesel Geek Short Throw Shifter
    Hello gents,
    As per my last thread, I am replacing a whole mess of things on my 200K Golf BEW w/ manual trans. Already have intake and turbo off. After thorough cleaning they are ready for re-installation. Wanted to ask you guys your thoughts on the order of the rest of the replacements. I am doing normal TB/H2O pump, front and rear seal, oil pan gasket and oil pump, and cam replacement(billet). Timing belt cover and passenger motor mount are off now. I think I should reinstall motor mount(easy enough) and do cam swap, then remove oil pan, replace oil pump, then do front seal, reinstall oil pan, drop tranny, install new rear seal, and finally finish up with TB/H2O pump. Does that sound correct?
    Really appreciate your input, thank you!

2. drucifer

drucifer Member

Car:
    2004 jetta tdi pd wagon
    Mods:
    panzer plate fmj
    If the seals were leaking yea do them.
    Do you have low oil pressure? 200k seems quite low to change an oil pump as preventative maintenance. TB and pump is due.

3. jeffhodge69

jeffhodge69 Member

Car:
    2006 Golf TDI
    Mods:
    Green Diesel Engineering Tune, Diesel Geek Short Throw Shifter
    No low oil pressure, just preventative. Front and rear seal are leaking a little, figure I have to take off oil pan anyway to do front seal, might as well replace oil pump. Just not positive of order to do them, any idea's.

4. Tom MacDonald

Tom MacDonald Member

Car:
    2004 Jetta TDI Station Wagon (North American)
    FYI the oil pan is a pain in the !@($# to take off, I needed to go buy some ball-end long allen keys to get the job done.

Also you may as well drop the oil pan before you do the cam replacement just in case you drop anything down the oil return passages while replacing the camshaft ;)

I would also clean out behind the fender liners between the front doors and front wheels as this area is prone to getting clogged/waterlogged (the windshield cowl drains there). I'd also put aftermarket spring returns on the back brakes to help the parking brake mechanism return more forcefully when you disengage the parking brake (or buy new calipers) (just assuming you have the same brakes as my 04 jetta... FS-III?)