2009 Tiguan S: 2006-2009 GTI MFSW Upgrade

Discussion in 'General Diesel Discussion' started by a1junkie, Jan 26, 2016.

1. a1junkie

a1junkie New Member

Car:
    '09 Tiguan S
    I'm working from this DIY.

My '09 Tiguan S (basically a Golf 5 with a thyroid problem) has the auto tranny, lowline cluster display (red text, bottom-half only), and I've upgraded it to the RNS 315 head unit with internal bluetooth enabled. I picked up a 2006+ Mk5 GTI multi-function steering wheel (MFSW) with paddle shifters a while back, and I'm finally ready to put it in.

My Steering Wheel Control Module (SWCM) comes up as 1K0 953 549 BF, which is mid-line, "Type 2," and uses software version SW 0101, according to this guide.

My understanding is that to use the MFSW buttons or shifter paddles, I will need to upgrade to a highline SWCM. Is that correct, for both features? I could live w/o the buttons, since only half of them would be any use with my non multi-function display (MFD) instrument cluster.

To select a high-line SWCM, do I just pick from the intersection of Type 2, SW 0101 highline units under Part Number 1K0-953-549? DOes that mean this unit should work?

Some posts in the how-to indicate replacing the comfort & convenience control module as well- is that just for later vehicles where the SWCM is integrated into it?

What if I manage to find some 2005.5 buttons, which replace MFD controls with more stereo controls - will it even matter, since according to this post, only Volume will work w/o an MFD?

Thanks in advance.

2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    I believe you need the highline SWCM. I'm not sure since I haven't done this myself with those exact parts. Please share what you learn.

3. Magicmakin

Magicmakin New Member

Car:
    Tiguan 2.0TSI
    Hi A1 junkie, I’m in a simular situation as you were in January. Did you have any joy with this mod? Best regards, Paul