2009 Jetta TDI Mil code P0401- EGR Insufficient flow

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by jherrera, May 30, 2015.

1. mikeme

mikeme Active Member

Car:
    2009 JSW TDI 205,000 miles
    Northern Virginia (dead in dealer parking lot since 15 august 2017)
    lots of guesses.

no one will know until VW makes up its mind, convinces EPA it is a good fix, and they put the recall out.

we may see some leaks or options in advance, but it will be difficult to judge if it is accurate.

2. Denise Stanley

Denise Stanley New Member

Car:
    VW Jetta TDI 2009
    That is a big issue. Why pay for a new DPF filter now ($3000-$4000) if it will have to be pulled later this year in the recall? Are you sure it is cracked? I (with a 2009 Jetta, 135,000 miles) just had mine pulled and cleaned (with the ERG filter indeed replaced). One dealer here said the DPF needed to be changed "to pass emissions" (false!). But if the DPF is really bad I'm guessing it hurts performance--not sure if you can wait a full year ???time until the recall. I would save your receipts in whatever case.
    Denise Stanley, Anaheim, CA

3. n2fastcars

n2fastcars New Member

Car:
    2009 jetta tdi
    I have soot in the tail pipe and in the egr filter. The P0401 comes and goes and I turn it off sometimes but it always comes back at some point. Then there are times it will comes on one day and then goes away on its own for a few days then be back after a few days later. Really not sure why that happens. Fuel mileage has been in the 42 to 45 mpg range but it is less then when I first got the car at 85,000 miles. It was closer to 50 mpg then. Like I said its at 125,000 now.

4. mikeme

mikeme Active Member

Car:
    the light comes and goes because the EGR filter flow changes as you drive. normal operation varies up and down.

if (when) it became more plugged up the lamp would stay lit.

5. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
  6. mikeme

mikeme Active Member

Car:
    What do they say about what?

7. CRWalker

CRWalker New Member

Car:
    2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    ECS Fog Light Kit, Continental Timing Belts, Gates Water Pump
    I had the same code on my 2009 Jetta TDI and I heard a rattle under the car when idling. After putting it on a lift, I found it my Egr filter had seperated at the bottom of the canister. Just replaced the low pressure filter next to the EGR cooler. I've driven around town and highway for about 250 miles with no check engine light and no code present. There was minimal soot in the exhaust pipe directly after the DPF and minimal soot build up where the filter connects to the cooler. So I'm pretty sure that was it. I'll wait to see what the outcome is and get my valve cover replaced to stem the oil seepage on top of the engine. But as of now I have 4 requested regens since reset and 4 successful regens. Before replacement, I was getting a random successful regen every once in a blue moon. Hope this helps others!

8. CRWalker

CRWalker New Member

Car:
    Mods:
    Update: So I've got my car into the dealer for the emissions modification (still have the p0401 code in there). The deal with that is that if there is a CEL on, that has to be addressed first, alright good enough. Just got the call from the dealer, the fault pertains to the egr cooler! (Which is part of the emissions modification!) So, not 100% if it is also the DPF as well and just so happens to also be on the list of replacement parts and the Service Manager just didn't say so, but I thought I'd share what I just learned.

Hope that helps all the MK6r's that don't get the hardware in the modification.

9. Myridge

Myridge New Member

Car:
    VW, Jetta TDI, 2009
    My 2009 TDI Jetta also had the same P0401 code when they did the mod and since the mod on the 15th that code is gone but so is about 10 MPG also. Now I have put on about 1000 miles since the mod and it certainly does drive different, feels like they neutered it. Lost the pep shifts weak and I went from 45-46 MPG to 35 I am not too happy. I may look into a DPF delete option and removing whatever it is they did. My car is going to burn through the so-called warranty they offer quick as I put about 60K miles a year and have 330,000 on my Jetta. Ran great up until they neutered it earlier this month.

10. CRWalker

CRWalker New Member

Car:
    Mods:
    Myridge is yours auto?

11. Myridge

Myridge New Member

Car:
    VW, Jetta TDI, 2009
    Yes it is an auto, I just had the emission modification recall done a few months back and now the P0401 code is back and the check engine light is on again. I have not had time to take it back in yet and it seems to run fine so I've just been driving it.

12. CRWalker

CRWalker New Member

Car:
    Mods:
    My ridge, your emissions system including the turbo is under warranty. Take it back in and make them fix it.