2009 Jetta TDI Mil code P0401- EGR Insufficient flow

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by jherrera, May 30, 2015.

1. speedlaw

speedlaw New Member

Car:
    VW Golf TDi, Manual
    Mods:
    Michelin PS A/S
    Yes, If I had any idea what I could have done differently, I would have. Yes, I'm getting the full dpf replacement next friday. I always thought I was doing the right thing, getting things up to full temp, and using high RPM at times. Oh well. I'm still kind of miffed that VW said too bad at 83k on the 80k warranty. I wrote a letter to the EPA, discussing that they should look into failure rates, and I'm keeping my receipts, as every recall notice has a provision for "if this has been fixed, submit the bill". This isn't something I broke, or used wrong, or it didn't like my chip tune...indeed, the DPF is a "no user serviceable parts inside" kind of thing.

We had two diesel Rabbits, and they ran forever. I hope the band aid pollution control on the new one doesn't make this all stupid.....Off to read some high mileage threads. thanks mikeme for the insight. (wait ! Isn't that a boring Honda ?)

2. mikeme

mikeme Active Member

Car:
    2009 JSW TDI
    my photo is from the front seat of my 2009 Jetta TDI (somewhere on I-88 in NY I think)

(but my wife likes her 2012 accord, and the 2003 accord she gave to her son, and the 199? accord she had when I married her...Her idea of a DIY auto repair is calling AAA herself.)

3. Wingdinger

Wingdinger New Member

Car:
    2009 VW Jetta TDI, DSG
    This is a timely thread for me. My car (2009 Jetta) has been throwing P0401 intermittently for a little while now. I got to researching it, and am not liking what I'm finding. The fingers seem to be pointing at a cracked DPF. Code being thrown, and the tailpipe has soot in it. If there are other possibilities, someone please advise. :EDIT: 121k miles

Attached Files:

4. speedlaw

speedlaw New Member

Car:
    VW Golf TDi, Manual
    Mods:
    Michelin PS A/S
    D oH!

I'll report back on the bottom line for the 2012 DPF. Now I have to consider....sell now or figure it will now go to 200k before the next one ?

5. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    There may be some dirt but no soot like normal diesels.

6. Wingdinger

Wingdinger New Member

Car:
    2009 VW Jetta TDI, DSG
    Can you explain what you mean? Sorry, I'm tired and not thinking straight right now...

7. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Some dirt and residue is expected in the exhaust through normal use. But it looks sootier than average. I don't know, maybe the camera flash is making it look worse than I remember.

8. Wingdinger

Wingdinger New Member

Car:
    2009 VW Jetta TDI, DSG
    Thanks. I'm also noticing I'm smelling the exhaust more than I used to, unless it's just my imagination. I just got off the phone with the dealership. They quoted me 800+ for labor, and 4630 for parts. After I griped about it a bit, the parts guy said they could work with me... He came down to about 3750. I don't think that sounds too bad for a dealership, but it's still a wallet flattener. He suggested calling up VWOA and giving them a piece... I might do that. Anyway, it's going in Monday to verify that the DPF is bad. Are the old DPF's or CAT's worth anything?

9. xeno555

xeno555 Well-Known Member

Car:
    2012 TDI Tech Package 6mt
    Mods:
    Malone Stage II. Rawtek 3" from Turbo to Tail. Slammed on Koni. TSW Nurmburg Rims. Whiteline Sway & Ends. Panzer Plate.
    Actually a couple hundred bucks. Google it.

10. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Also check our site sponsor sellyourcatsdirect . They have a banner ad at the top.

11. williamgd2

williamgd2 Member

Car:
    Jetta 2010 TDI
    Mods:
    oem backup camera,. oem type wing.,.9w7 bt, rns 510, 135lb real air horns seperate from regular horn and for emergency use only
    Speedlaw VWOA covered my DPF at 89000 miles, Ask the Vw service manager to work with you and VWOA and ask for a Good Will just out of warrantee replacement. If that doesn't work go to the NTSB website and look for file a complaint and do it. The NTSB complaint site is monitored by VW executive's and if you left your phone number hope for a phone call in 2 or 3 days. I have had success twice doing this with 2 different out of warrantee major repairs.

12. sunkid

sunkid New Member

Car:
    2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI (MkV)
    My 2010 SportWagen TDI (65k miles) just joined the P0401 club last week. At first, the MIL came on intermittently, but it has not stayed off since Saturday. I also have soot in the tailpipe. Initially, I noticed a loss of power and about 20% drop in fuel efficiency (MIL first came on during a road trip), but I am not sure if I am imagining this.

Made an appointment with Hermann Cook VW in Encinitas for Thursday morning. Any advice on what I can do to allay my fears that it is NOT a warranty-covered cracked DPF?

FWIW, Ross-Tech's wiki doesn't even seem to mention the DPF for this code.

13. mikeme

mikeme Active Member

Car:
    2009 JSW TDI
    TSB 01 14 11 | TPI# 2034898 (quoted from the ross tech wiki page you linked to)

covers the link between the P0401 and replacing the DPF.

in part, it says:

[​IMG]

14. mikeme

mikeme Active Member

Car:
    2009 JSW TDI

do you have a VCDS? if so, would you run a basic setting for the EGR system and let me know what the on/off readings are?

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=445921&page=2

15. sunkid

sunkid New Member

Car:
    Thanks for your replies... of course I should have checked the linked bulletins!

I do not have a VCDS, but am working on she-who-must-be-obeyed to let me buy one. For science! Just need more good arguments!

16. sunkid

sunkid New Member

Car:
    Just a quick update: the problem was indeed a faulty particulate filter and the dealer is replacing the DPF and EGR filter for free under the California emissions warranty (7/70k). For those interested, the EPA warranty (8/80k) is available here. Curiously, the dealer had all parts in stock (just because I am paranoid does not mean they are not out to get me, right!?).

17. Wingdinger

Wingdinger New Member

Car:
    2009 VW Jetta TDI, DSG
    Dang, you're lucky. I had mine done a few weeks ago, out of warranty of course. Cost several grand, due to the stupid '09's having to have the catalysts replaced and all that. I contacted VWOA and asked nicely for some reimbursement... They wouldn't give me the time of day. Yes, I am very unhappy. And this right after the flywheel needed replacing. (did it myself)

18. Denise Stanley

Denise Stanley New Member

Car:
    VW Jetta TDI 2009
    I appreciate all your earlier posts about the Diesel Particulate Filter on the earlier cars. I have a 2009 VW Jetta TDI. I have had the DPF filter pulled, but it is connected to the cat, so the part must be cut and welded back together so it can be cleaned at a truck shop. Would you advise this or instead getting a rebuilt part?
    Thanks,
    Denise Stanley

19. mikeme

mikeme Active Member

Car:
    2009 JSW TDI
    at least two places will clean the filter without cutting anything.

I hear a golf club bag shipping box will hold the set.

Vendors who will clean dpf filters with attached cats include www.fsxinc.com and http://www.dpfregeneration.com these folks make sure the ash and soot are disposed of safely.

20. n2fastcars

n2fastcars New Member

Car:
    2009 jetta tdi
    Hi guys have been seeing a lot of the EPA Volkswagen recall on the news. My car has a cracked dpf filter. Im wondering if VW will do anything to fix it when they start trying to fix the cars to pass emissions. What ever it is that they do it seems to me that the hole system will have to have changes done to it. I find it had to believe that if all it will be is a software change. Why didn't they do it to start with? Why take a chance and loose millions on a software problem. My 09 jetta has 125,000 on it now. Has anyone heard anything about what going to happen with the recall?