2008 jetta safe mode

Discussion in 'General Diesel Discussion' started by Ralph Ward, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Ralph Ward

Ralph Ward New Member

Car:
    VW Jetta 2008 SE
    would like help getting my new fob keys to work. I know it has to do with the immobilizer. Car is currently in safe mode and the original key does not keep the car started. please help

2. Ol'Rattler

Ol'Rattler Well-Known Member

Car:
    06 TDI Jetta
  3. Ralph Ward

Ralph Ward New Member

Car:
    VW Jetta 2008 SE
    problem solved.

Problem: When turning key to the on position "Safe" appears on the dashboard, and the car will not stay started because of not reading the key chip properly. It will start for one second then immediately turn off. (Immobilizer issue) On top of this there was another issue. The car battery was weak which added to the difficulty diagnosing the problem.

Solved: To take car out of "safe" mode and allow the key chip to read properly so the car will start - do the following. If the car battery is low it must be charged. If the car battery doesn't have enough charge the problem can not be resolved. Therefore with either a charged battery or while charging the battery with a battery charger, turn the key to the on position. Do Not Start. Leave in the on position. Wait 10 to 15 minutes to allow the chip to be read automatically. Safe will no longer show on the dashboard. (If charging car battery remove charging cables before next step). Turn key to off position. Then to the start position to start the vehicle. This solved my issue.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  4. Ol'Rattler

Ol'Rattler Well-Known Member

Car:
    06 TDI Jetta
    Awesome, you learn something new every day. Battery chargers have an auto set circuit breaker and it will just trip when you hit the starter. If the C/B didn't work like it is suppose to, when you went to start it sure would destroy the charger.

Had the new keys already been adapted to the car?

5. Ralph Ward

Ralph Ward New Member

Car:
    VW Jetta 2008 SE
    No. I left well enough alone. Only the original key works. I will have to bring to dealer for that. I'm just glad I can drive it there.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2017