2007 Passat 1.9 TDI won't go up a hill only with Limp Mode

Discussion in 'Ross Tech VCDS forum' started by Keithuk, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Hi guys.

I have a friend who lives local with this problem with her 2007 Passat 1.9 TDI-PD BXE.

It only goes up a hill the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) comes on. If the car stops and the turn the ignition off. Start up everything is ok.
    On level ground or down bank the car performs normally is only when it goes up an hill/bank/incline.

She has had it in garages for this problem. A new MAF sensor fitted, the turbo removed and cleaned.

I said pop down for a scan and check.

Scan file is on:

http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthr...a-hill-wiithout-Limp-Mode&p=102201#post102201

2. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    and someone has inspected the cam for wear? id have done that before maf or turbo cleaning as a bad cam mimics bad maf/turbo

3. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    It doesn't sound noisy when its running. A bad cam wouldn't cause this problem Limp Mode only on hills.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  4. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    sure a bad cam can... if it will not flow nuff air it then over fuels and hits limp... we will say beginning stages why your not hearing noise and only a issue on hills..

else you need to monitor the vacuum of vnt system against boost of intake system.. that will show a lag in the vnt if the turbo is hanging up inside...

but i suggest looking at the cam as its only pulling a vc.. pretty simple.. cause if its worn at all.. anything you fiddle with will still not cure it

5. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Thanks for the input crsmp5.

I know about bad camshafts but this problem only occurs going up a bank. A bad camshaft would effect performance all through the rev range not just on banks.

The thing is she has brought a Mitsubishi Shogun TDI so she needs to sell this Passat. If someone does a test drive and it goes in Limp Mode on banks. They will say loads of crap to reduce the price.

6. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    I spoke to the owner tonight did she get my email with the log file. She said yes but the car is now fixed.

How is it fixed I asked. She took it to a taxi company and told them of her problem. They said that's normal for a TDI.

They went out for a test drive and it went into Limp Mode on a level road. That's just a woman's diagnostic procedure hill only. They came back and plugged in their diagnostic scanner and it showed at problem with the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve. They removed it and it was blocked with crap. They cleaned it and put it back and on the test drive it didn't go into Limp Mode.

I asked did she notice the scanner they used make/model/colour no she didn't. Being a taxi company with different makes and models it would have been a good generic one.

There are 132 codes for Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) why didn't VCDS pick up on this in the scan?

I've updated my new Free EOBD II Error Codes software