2006 VW Jetta BRM TDI DSG to 5-speed manual swap/ conversion

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by pedaltheglobe, Jan 24, 2016.

1. vwjettadsl

vwjettadsl New Member

Car:
    06 Jetta TDI x2, 09 JSW TDI, 99.5 Jetta TDI 665k (sold), plus 12 more!
    Mods:
    PD140 turbo, Malone Stage 4, 6-speed trans.
    I also did the swap from DSG to manual trans on a 2006 VW Jetta TDI recently. I connected the purple/black wire from the DSG, directly to the plug (pin #4) for the G476 Clutch Position Sensor. Then connected the ground wire (pin #1) to a nearby ground location behind the battery. Pins #2 & #5 are for the cruise control, which is a lot more complicated.

Do you have the connector for the G476?

I need to post pictures of how I wired up the cruise control, but I need to take a couple extra pictures first. Plus I can only type one-handed right now, have a nasty sprain on my left.

Edit: Also my car started up no problem after I wired it as described above.

Cheers,
    Ben

Last edited: May 5, 2016
    pedaltheglobe and Rastaforte like this.
    login to remove this ad
  2. Rastaforte

Rastaforte New Member

Car:
    06 TDI Jetta 02Q 6-spd manual
    Mods:
    Ongoing...
    Hey Ben,
    Thanks for your thoughts and sorry for the delay responding ;)

The DSG purple/black wire I mistakenly attached to what turned out to be not a ground and so once I fixed that the car started right up.

I do have the clutch connector but simply tapped all the wires and brought them to the front of car and tied up figuring I'd handle that piece later. Would appreciate any details you have on the cruise control wiring.

Hope your sprain is healed up now!
    Andrew

pedaltheglobe likes this.
  3. nc73

nc73 New Member

Car:
    jetta tdi 2006
    Hi guys, any updates on the cruise control wiring and reverse? I'm almost done with my conversion. Those are the only two concerns.

TonyJetta likes this.
  4. vwjettadsl

vwjettadsl New Member

Car:
    06 Jetta TDI x2, 09 JSW TDI, 99.5 Jetta TDI 665k (sold), plus 12 more!
    Mods:
    PD140 turbo, Malone Stage 4, 6-speed trans.
    I somehow misplaced the photos I took showing the cruise control wiring. I need to try and find them again. But basically what I did was follow the wiring diagram from the bentley manual. I had access to a wrecked car with 5-spd, so I was able to rob all the wiring and connectors needed.

Basically you have to run a wire from trans to fuse box, add a connection in the fuse box holder, then run a wire from the fuse box to the ECU wiring harness.

Never have taken the time to figure out the reverse lights. Annoying, but livable.

Also you need your ECU modified to work with a 5-spd or get an ECU from a 5-spd car and have the immobilizer deleted. If you haven't already done this, let me know I can help out if you want, I'm a Malone tuning dealer.

Cheers,
    Ben

5. nc73

nc73 New Member

Car:
    jetta tdi 2006
    Sent you a message. It runs great without a manual ecu (stage II malone). Finished it a few days ago. Just the check engine light and traction control is annoying. I don't care for traction control but would like cruise control. Also found info on reverse, just need to try it out. Best thing about the swap is an increase in mpg. From 4-6mpg so far. Total expenditure, 1 grand. 460 for trans kit and 500 for southbend stage II daily clutch. I can't believe the clutch costs more than the transmission kit.

6. TonyJetta

TonyJetta New Member

Car:
    '96 Passat TDI
    I'm working on the wiring for the backup light switch and cruise control. I hope to have it worked out for the early A5 cars, which is mine.
    I hope to have it all nailed down by the weekend.

Tony

7. nc73

nc73 New Member

Car:
    jetta tdi 2006
    Take pics!

8. nc73

nc73 New Member

Car:
    jetta tdi 2006
    This is what I found after some further googling:

G476 (Clutch Position Sender) Pin T5m/2 ws/ro (white/red) to ECU Pin T121/39
    G476 (Clutch Position Sender) Pin T5m/5 ws/ro (white/red) to J317 (Engine Bay Fuse Box) T40/14, from Fuse SB39 (5 amps)
    G476 (Clutch Position Sender) Pin T5m/1 br (brown) to Earth (the same brown earth can be shared from the brake position switch - should be pin2)

Is this accurate??? thanks!

9. TonyJetta

TonyJetta New Member

Car:
    '96 Passat TDI
    I have a few caveats:
    1) Keep in mind, this is for the early (<Nov 2005) A5's
    2) This is a research project right now! I have NOT started the project. Meaning, I cannot validate wire colors nor operation.
    3) I have been scouring over the wiring diagrams in my online Bentley manual.

What I have for the G476 (Clutch Position Switch):
    T5-Pin1 / Brn to Gnd in main harness (382)
    T5-Pin2 Wht/Red to J248/ECU T94/43 - This may need to be a repair wire, which I still need to research
    T5-Pin4 Vio/Blk to J519 (Electrical System Controller) Pin E7 - This may need to be a repair wire, which I still need to research
    T5-Pin5 Wht/Red to Fuse F6 on Panel B (B+); Or, tap off the Wht/Red at the brake pedal switch

For the Backup light switch, F4:
    Pin 1 Blk/Blu to Fuse Panel C, Fue 4 (B+)
    Pin 2 Blu/Blk to J519 (Electrical System Controller) F/6

Once I start on the wiring, I'll take some pictures for the intent of adding to pedaltheglobe's write up.

Tony

10. nc73

nc73 New Member

Car:
    jetta tdi 2006
    Good info. Too bad it doesn't apply to my 06 but I think I found all the wires/pins for cruise and reverse. Just need to start on it. Not a big deal but cruise would be nice for my travels to Ohio. What parts are you missing still Tony?

11. TonyJetta

TonyJetta New Member

Car:
    '96 Passat TDI
    My brother worked out a deal with a yard in phoenix for all the mechanical parts, shifter, and ECU. I'll pick them up this weekend.

I have a lot of parts on order. I need to order the clutch...but that will have to wait until tomorrow, when I get paid.

My plans, so far:
    1) Rebuild both axles - new boots and regrease
    2) Prep control arms - it's time to replace bushings and ball joints
    3) Pull transmission & axles
    4) Pull control arms
    5) Pull cluster & send manual ECU to be flashed / married
    6) Modify wiring
    7) remove DSG Shifter
    8) Install 5sp shifter
    9) Change brake pedal
    10) Install clutch pedal & master cylinder
    11) Install clutch
    12) Install cluster & ECU
    13) Install transmission
    14) Install control arms
    15) Adjust shifter cables & bleed clutch & brakes (time to change fluid anyway)
    16) Test drive & check alignement

Tony

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  12. nc73

nc73 New Member

Car:
    jetta tdi 2006
    Damn that's nice. If it's anything like the 06 the negative ground cable will need to be swapped over from the manual. Mine was way too short to route it properly. Also if you loosen the exhaust you can squeeze the shifter out the bottom, but you'd have to cut the heat shield. It's not really needed on the 06 since the cat is in the engine bay. I cut just enough to squeeze it out without any issues. Saved me lots of time. I did not need to take the seats out to do the pedals. I'm not a big guy though.

13. weeves

weeves New Member

Car:
    2006 VW Jetta TDI
    Wow, where did you find a complete manual swap for $460?

14. nc73

nc73 New Member

Car:
    jetta tdi 2006
    Canadian gentleman from tdiclub. He bought a manual 06 to strip and fix his other 2 tdi's. Second cheapest was from Netherlands for 1100 shipped. I saw one on ebay for 1585, crazy.

15. nc73

nc73 New Member

Car:
    jetta tdi 2006
    I finally learned to read the wiring diagram. Found the pin for cruise. Still need to tap into it as there is no wire there currently. I also swapped the ecu to manual. No check engine light but why would the code show up still for auto trans not found and no signal from tcm? I'm not understanding this if the ecu is no longer auto.

16. nc73

nc73 New Member

Car:
    jetta tdi 2006
    Seems you can recode the mk5 for manual in can gateway and steering wheel. I just got rid of the error codes. So you do not need a manual ecu after all, unless you want traction control which malone can fix for 50 bucks. Not a complete waste of money though since I got a new tune to go with the manual ecu.

17. nc73

nc73 New Member

Car:
    jetta tdi 2006
    Update: Pin 43 is indeed for cruise. Bought a repair wire off ebay and installed it into pin 43 on the ecu. G476 pin 2 to ecu pin t96/43. G476 pin 5 goes to any power, but the proper one is fuse 22 (I just pushed the wire into the left side of the fuse). Cruise works. I don't really have a need for reverse lights, since I never found them very useful.

18. TonyJetta

TonyJetta New Member

Car:
    '96 Passat TDI
    Do you have a part number for the ECU repair wire?

Tony

19. nc73

nc73 New Member

Car:
    jetta tdi 2006
  20. TonyJetta

TonyJetta New Member

Car:
    '96 Passat TDI