2006 MkV Jetta TDI Strut Replacement

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by AirLand&Sea, Feb 7, 2017.

1. AirLand&Sea

AirLand&Sea Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Hello,
    I have been faithfully maintaining my 06 Jetta since new and got all the bugs out of it over the years. It now has 170k miles on it and ready to replace the struts. I have no particular issues other than crunching from the strut bushings when going over speed bumps but front and rear is a bit livelier than I would prefer. I will need some recommendations on best struts. I prefer the best handling and control but don't want it to ride so hard that it knocks my teeth out. Also wondering if there is a place I can order a "loaded" assembly so I can bolt on. I am ok going with newer/better springs at this point. Looking to maintain stock height front and rear. But will most likely replace suspension bushings and anti sway bars while at I am it. Thanks for any advice or guidance.

2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    I have Koni FSD with Kerma's Shine springs http://www.kermatdi.com/mk5-shine-racing-real-streat-springs/ and really like them on my 2006. Firm ride but not harsh at all. Don't know your location but the CT roads are not good and they're fine. I also have 16" wheels, if you have 19" with thin tires, that's gonna make a big difference too, and make them feel harsh. But I also prefer a more sporty ride.

These springs will also raise your car by about 1 cm.

Do a rough alignment, then let them settle for 1-2 months. New springs and bushings will sag slightly.

3. mikeme

mikeme Active Member

Car:
    2009 JSW TDI 205,000 miles
    Northern Virginia (dead in dealer parking lot since 15 august 2017)
    idparts has some optimal struts and shocks. I put these on my car and they are almost identical to the original ones.

they will bundle up bearings and mounts, and bolts and such.

they also have aftermarket springs that match original design.

if you get the whole shebang, a local place, I bet, would bolt them together for you off the car for not too much.

4. AirLand&Sea

AirLand&Sea Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Thanks. I am using the stock 16" alloy wheels. Never saw the need to jazz it up any more since this car is always my daily driver and long distance commuter. To this day I am able to maintain perfect alignment so I know most of my front end parts are still good. A few years before the clean diesel scandal, I test drove a new Sportwagen and was hugely disappointed with the mushy ride. Mine always had nice handling and enough firmness when new. But the new ones appear to have gotten much softer so I want to be sure I maintain a sporty ride with tight handling.

5. AirLand&Sea

AirLand&Sea Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Installed the shine springs with Koni FSD front and rear. While in there replaced front control arm bushings (shot) with S3 units and transmission mount (torn) as well as ball joints and did new GKN axles as boots were splitting on mine. Amazing difference. Front and rear sway bars and bushings still stock, but noticed my car actually sits a lot lower in the rear now. Before the job, the rear sat higher than the front. Steering is now much lighter (due to more weight on the back) and responsive. Did you stay with stock sway bars or do you recommend heavier ones front and/or rear? I need to ask this as I see references to a kit from kerma TDI that has an upgraded rear sway bar but see no reference to changing the front. Thanks for any further advice. It's now feeling like a new car!