2006 Jetta TDI won't start after timing belt replacement

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by Train, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Train

Train New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    I started a tb job and locked down the crank sprocket and cam sprocket. When I was finished I made sure every thing was at tdc and checked again. Everything looked good when I got it all back together but when I went to start it, it would not start. I have seen videos of advancing the cam but I don't know which way to go or how much. I really don't know what to do.

2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    I wouldn't suggest advancing the cam. If everything was good after turning it over twice, timing was fine. Try bleeding the fuel lines and making sure you have the right marks lined up.

3. ncsteinb

ncsteinb New Member

Car:
    2006 BRM Jetta Manual, 2002 ALH Jetta Manual, 1997 318ti w/turbo 6cyl (M50) swap
    Mods:
    Koni Yellow adjustable dampers, H&R Sport Springs, ECS Tuning Dogbone insert, ECS Single Mass Flywheel (both), EGR delete (both), Malone tune (both), BMW-> All of the mods!
    Double check, triple check your timing. I once found an engine that was a tooth off, no binding when barred over by hand, but refused to start.
    I second this.

4. terpsgeorgia

terpsgeorgia Member

Car:
    06 Jetta TDI
    Not sure where you got your cam locking pin. I bought one that was apparently oversized and did not set in the hole properly, it seemed like it did but my timing was way advanced ( I hand spun the engine first before starting so I knew the valves weren't crashing). when I looked at the photos on the fantastic write up, I noticed the knob set all the way in. So I ground down the pin and then it locked properly. So my question from my experience is did your cam locking pin insert all the way as in the photos?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017