2006 Jetta TDI - Starts then stalls after a few seconds

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by Dezzle, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Dezzle

Dezzle New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Folks, any help would be appreciated.

Just bought a 2006 Jetta TDI and it occasionally will start then quickly stall. After about 15 minutes it starts just fine and stays running. This usually happens when it has been running fine, turned off then needing to be restarted a few minutes later (like the time it takes to run into a convenience store and come back out). I've checked other forums and it is a well know problem but no thread I've read gives me confidence anyone knows how to acurately diagnose and fix the problem the first time. Also, no two fixes I've read about have been the same. There must be a simpler and more reliable way to make this problem disappear. VW dealerships can't possible be as inept as the forum contributors make them out to be.

Any thoughts on where to start? Anybody??

2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Is the immobilizer light on?

Error codes? Start with a code scan.

3. Dezzle

Dezzle New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Chitty, thanks for the response. The immobilizer light does not come on. Haven't run any diagnostics personally (don't have the equipment). Is this the VAG-COM/VCDS I've read about in other forum posts? Is this equipment so expensive that taking it to the dealer to run a diagnostic might be more cost effective for me?

Thanks for your time - much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2017
  4. Poormanq45

Poormanq45 Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta BRM 2005 Jetta BEW
    I had to fix this issue. My resolution was to replace the lift pump.

It could also be a relay going bad. I don't remember the number.

5. Dezzle

Dezzle New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Thanks Poormanq45! Do you remember what the relay was called? This problem is interesting because it only lasts for about 12 - 15 minutes when it's happening, then like clockwork the car will start up. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks again.

6. Poormanq45

Poormanq45 Member

Car:
    I'm thinking j329 is the most likely failure point.

I'm not sure if it's allowed, but here's the link where you can get it:
    http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2583

The dealer should sell it as well.

When it dies, does it just shut off like someone flipped a switch? That's what the one I was dealing with did. The engine just shut off. No bucking or jerking. Everything else stayed on but the engine had turned off. If that's the case, I'd look at the lift pump under the rear seat.

Note, I had the same wait period. If you left it alone for about 15 minutes it would start right up.

If when it dies the cluster goes dead, then I'd look more towards the relay.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2013
  7. Dezzle

Dezzle New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Thanks PoormanQ45 and thanks for the link to part - very helpful.

Yes, when it dies it's like it simply got switched off. Doesn't die when I'm on the road, only dies when I try to restart it shortly after turning it off (that begins my 15 minute "cool down" period).

I'd like to start simple, like the relay, before going after the lift pump. The pump seems to be working just fine when it can, it's as if something won't send it the right signal for 15min while the problem is reseting itself.

Can you tell me where this relay is located on the car?

Thanks!

8. Poormanq45

Poormanq45 Member

Car:
    Chittychittybangbang might be able to help with locating the relay. I recall reading about it being in either the underhood panel or the interior one. I don't know if there was a method to the different locations.

In my situation, the car would just shut off when coming to a stop. It would just kill the engine like a switch was flipped. After waiting 15-20 minutes it would start perfectly. When it wasn't starting, it would turn over perfectly but no fire.

Another note, when the engine finally started, it would have a split second stumble. It reminded me of when you run out of fuel in a gasoline engine. Once it got past that stumble it would start and run like nothing was wrong.

My thinking was that the fuel pump may be overheating. I recall reading that the lift pump in the brm vehicles is a weak point.

FYI, replacement is extremely easy. Lift up the lower cushion on the back seat. You're looking at the pump top. Disconnect the electrical connector and two fuel lines. The pump is held in place by a locking ring. Remove that. Pull the pump out. If your new pump doesn't include it, mine didn't, swap the large gasket over.

I had the job done in about 15 minutes.

9. Dezzle

Dezzle New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Thanks again Poormanq45.

I'll find the relay(s) and start there due to the low investment. My non-start condition is different from yours but the wait time is the same.

Really appreciate the help, thanks again.

10. KDoc72

KDoc72 New Member

Car:
    2010 VW Jetta TDI
    I'm also having the same issue. Did you ever figure out what was the cause? Was it the lift pump?

11. trisaj91

trisaj91 New Member

Car:
    Jetta TDI 2006 350 000 KM
    Hi im having the same problem that you describe Dezzle and im trying to find the problem i already change the fuel pump and the crankshaft sensor and camshaft sensor and the car has the same problem did you fixed changing the relay number 460?
    Thanks for your time.

12. jawesy

jawesy New Member

Car:
    06 jetta tdi
    Exactly same problem I'm having with my 2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI, start and stall when hot, usually starts after about 15 minutes, like clock work every time when hot, was good all winter when it was below-10, seems like something electrical but haven't found the problem, I had changed the crank sensor

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

13. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Do you have a fuse & relay diagram? Fuse & Relay PDF Files

Terminal 15 Voltage Supply Relay (J329) is fused under the bonnet/hood F49 40A
    Up to May 2005 - July 2006 F28 40A

Terminal 15 Voltage Supply Relay (J329) 460 the left big one B1 under the dash.