2005 passat tdi wagon camshaft bolts

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by Love of Passat TDI Wagon, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Love of Passat TDI Wagon

Love of Passat TDI Wagon New Member

Car:
    05 Passat TDI wagon. 02 Beetle TDI.
    The VW dealership has identified several problems that will cost money. #1: One of the bolts for the front left wheel and for the left rear wheel is stripped so a new bolt for each wheel was put on, but they identified that the hub for those bolts are stripped. What I want to know is how vital is it to replace the whole hub if only one bolt is stripped from each wheel. Should I have the hubs replaced? #2: The valve cover gasket needed to be replaced because it was leaking oil. Upon removing the valve cover, the mechanic found that 1 of the bolts for the valve cover was snapped off in the cylinder head (he tooks some digital pics) and someone tried to drill it out and damaged the head. Per the mechanic, the head will need to be brought to a machine shop to see if they can weld, drill and tap a hole. In the meantime, the valve cover was put back on with a new gasket and some sealant was applied to the area where the damaged bolt is. Right now I'm checking the oil dipstick and adding oil when needed. Got any other suggestions? John

[​IMG]

2. drucifer

drucifer Member

Car:
    2004 jetta tdi pd wagon
    Mods:
    panzer plate fmj
    So qualified replyers can make suggestions, (not me) what does the rest of the car look like? How many miles? Has balance shaft delete beend done? Are you doing any work yourself? The bill at the dealer is going to add up quite fast.

How much is the love do you have for this passat?

3. Love of Passat TDI Wagon

Car:
    The outside of the car is blue with a few rust spots that have been coated with a protective black spray, there are about 218,000 miles, I don't know what a balance shaft delete is, please explain. I'm not doing a lot of the work myself, yet. And yes, the dealer costs are a concern. New tires, new pentosin oil and filter (suggested by a friend to use pentosin, and change oil every 10,000 miles), new cabin and air filters, per dealer checks, all belts and hoses are brand new. Inside of the car is pristine but I'm having the factory radio replaced with an after market bluetooth pioneer deck and an 8 inch powered subwoofer acquired through crutchfield. I'm also buying a second 2005 olive green passat tdi wagon in September with 190,000 miles, so to answer your question about how much love do I have for this blue passat, my goal is to make sure it's in top running order and so far after several long road trips, I have to say it's a fine running car with very good mileage.

4. Tom MacDonald

Tom MacDonald Member

Car:
    2004 Jetta TDI Station Wagon (North American)
    I think the stripped bolts on the hubs and the seized bolt on the valve cover are not deal breakers. If you have been taking road trips without incidence with these two issues present then you already have your answer.

AFAIK you have to replace your wheel bearing as well when you replace your hub. So probably looking at $300 canadian per replaced hub.

Can you post the pics of the snapped off bolt in the cylinder head? If you have access to a welder, I would recommend trying to weld a nut onto the end of the snapped-off bolt and then attempt to remove it after heating the aluminum head where the bolt threads in.

Pulling the head and taking it to a machine shop sounds like mega overkill, and I would expect that would cost big bucks ($1000-$3000 probably?) You could try building up the damaged head surface after the bolt gets removed with some JB weld to make it seal properly again. Most likely one the bolt is removed you will have to repair the threads in the hole that is now probably wrecked. You could probably use a helicoil thread repair kit for this, so long as there is enough aluminum left to drill/tap an oversized hole for the helicoil insert.

Alternatively, you could just forego replacing the bolt and instead try different products to seal around the snapped off bolt. This would be less advisable since without clamping force where the product is applied, you run the risk of said product crumbling and spitting bits into the valve train.

If you are selling it next month then you probably don't really need to worry about this stuff (as long as you are OK passing the buck to whoever you sell it to)

5. drucifer

drucifer Member

Car:
    2004 jetta tdi pd wagon
    Mods:
    panzer plate fmj
  6. Love of Passat TDI Wagon

Car:
    Tom, thanks for the information. #1) I don't understand what you meant by "deal breakers". #2) I agree with your assessment per cost per hub, and just for my personal preference, I'll probably get the front left wheel hub replaced first. #3) Here is the picture taken by the mechanic at the dealership. #4) I'll run your idea about welding a nut onto the end of the snapped off bolt..... to a machinist I know. I like your idea about "building up the damaged head surface after the bolt gets removed with some JB Weld...... A helicoil thread repair kit, will look into this, too. #5) Not replacing the bolt and applying different sealants is a temporary remedy. I have no plans to sell the car as long as it doesn't cost me too much with repairs. damaged head on vw passat.jpg

To DRUCIFER, the second car I'm planning on buying is going to be driven as well. I'd like to have 2 passat tdi station wagons, one as a back up. I've also got a 2002 beetle tdi but use it only for 2 people since back seat is down flat and used for extra storage space. The beetle runs beautifully.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  7. Tom MacDonald

Tom MacDonald Member

Car:
    2004 Jetta TDI Station Wagon (North American)
    by "deal-breaker" i just meant "maintenance issues severe enough that you should stop driving the car ASAP"

8. Love of Passat TDI Wagon

Car:
    I decided to have all significant problems taken care of by the VW dealership despite exorbitant cost. I don't have time to screw around with winter approaching so I contacted the dealer to get things rolling. A new cylinder head, camshaft, and lifters have been ordered from Germany, expect delivery in 10 days or so. Both hubs and bearings (front left wheel, rear left wheel) will be replaced, the driver's side door lock module will be replaced, and a new timing belt will be installed. Will bring the car in on Sep 18th with all the parts ready to go. I love my passat and intend to keep her. And the second tdi passat wagon I'm buying will also be given the same devotion as this one. All my cars are being outfitted with decent identical aftermarket bluetooth decks and powered subs so that I can tool around the country with my iPod, listening to my favorite tunes.