2002 Beetle TDI Immobilizer. Starts and dies.

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by Caleb Heath, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Caleb Heath

Caleb Heath New Member

Car:
    1998 Vw Beetle TDI 5-Speed. 2002 Vw Beetle TDI Auto.
    ChittyChittybangbang, I have a 2002 VW Beetle TDI. I have tried multiple things people have suggested for my immobilizer to reset, but the car still just starts and dies after 1 second. I finally found a locksmith who would come out and scan the car for me.
    Key Faulty
    Immobilizer Sensor D2
    ECU disconnected 01314 177

I have taken the dash apart and checked the ECU, it is not disconnected. I disconnected, then reconnected, but still to no avail.

2. YMZ

YMZ Super Moderator

Car:
    Jetta 2003, Golf 2001
    Latitude 44.407959, longitude -76.018369.
    Did it just stop working all of the sudden? Do you have more than one key for the car? By some chance would you happen to know the SKC (Secret Key Code) for the cluster?

Yuri

3. Caleb Heath

Caleb Heath New Member

Car:
    I'm not sure if it's the right code, but when he scanned it, a code of 212 came up. I only have one key. My wife drove the car home from work, just like normal. Well, the next morning, she went out to drive the car and it was acting up.

4. YMZ

YMZ Super Moderator

Car:
    Jetta 2003, Golf 2001
    A properly equipped Master Locksmith should have been able to read the SKC from the instrument cluster... (not the error code...) obviously the one you had look at the car didn't have the correct tools... either the RFid chip in the key somehow became damaged or else the cluster suffered some type of damage... The quickest way to recover, I'm sorry to say, would be to tow the car to your friendly local VW dealer and have them provide you with a spare key (Valet is the cheapest option) and reprogram the car... if you have some time to wait, you can look online for one of those spare key providers who also supply (on loan?) a programming cable and software to do the same - although the Beetle cluster is different from the Golf / Jetta models, and you must specify this...

Yuri

5. Caleb Heath

Caleb Heath New Member

Car:
  6. YMZ

YMZ Super Moderator

Car:
    Jetta 2003, Golf 2001
    Before trying such drastic repair efforts, you really need to get a proper scan code... from either an official VW scan tool or VCDS... (new name for Vag-Com)... on the MkIV those antenna rings aren't reputed to become defective at anything resembling what went on with the MkIII chassis...

Yuri

7. Caleb Heath

Caleb Heath New Member

Car:
    What about the Vag Tacho? I have been looking for one, but there are so many different ones. Will you send me a link of the correct one. Also, will I be able to reprogram the key?

8. YMZ

YMZ Super Moderator

Car:
    Jetta 2003, Golf 2001
    I'll have to look into it (again... I forget the details pertaining to the clusters)... please look up which programming tool works with the MkIV Beetle instrument cluster... I seem to remember that it's NOT Vag-Tacho... (Vag-Commander ??????? I'm not sure - perhaps I was thinking about the MkIV Jetta Wagon ...) Please do a bit of research before spending any money... else, contact one of the online replacement key vendors for help with this... (some of them may loan/rent you the needed cable and software) http://www.fixmyvw.com/vw-key-fob-programming-guide/ is a good resource... (there are others...) You may still find out that paying a dealer to do this will be the easiest way out of the quagmire...

Yuri

9. Caleb Heath

Caleb Heath New Member

Car:
    Thank you for your help! I have decided to just do the immobilizer delete through the website you provided. I really do appreciate you trying to help me!