2000 Beetle Turbo rebuild problem

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by Solar Mike, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Solar Mike

Solar Mike New Member

Car:
    2000 Beetle tdi
    Mods:
    Kerma tuned chip with 1019 injectors, 2' lift kit, Panzer skid plate, 205/75/15 General AT2, 1/2" spacer at each wheel, Bilstein TC
    I'm rebuilding my vnt 15 turbo and all is well until I tighten the control ring plate. When loose the control ring moves freely and the vanes move as they are supposed to. When I tighten the three star screws on the control ring plate it tightens down on the vanes then won't move. I have the spacers in exactly as I took them out. The turbo casing is bare metal and thoroughly clean. What am I doing wrong?

2. Seatman

Seatman Well-Known Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    I came across this on the tdiclub forums a while ago but I'm struggling to find the thread and can't remember the issue.

3. Seatman

Car:
    Mods:
    Ok found it, on his he'd missed this plate, it goes in first

[​IMG]

4. Solar Mike

Solar Mike New Member

Car:
    2000 Beetle tdi
    Mods:
    Kerma tuned chip with 1019 injectors, 2' lift kit, Panzer skid plate, 205/75/15 General AT2, 1/2" spacer at each wheel, Bilstein TC
    No that's not my problem. The three star screws that hold the actuator ring are they supposed to be tight or loose? I saw a video on youtube that shows a person tearing one down and it appeared that the actuator ring was loose and the star screws were loose but, that can't be right can it?

5. Seatman

Car:
    Mods:
    All tight or the thing would rattle itself apart, the spacers make the room for the vnt to move freely with the screws tight.

It's really difficult to see what's going wrong over the internet but something has to assembled wrong, something simple you're missing. I reckon it'll be one of those "doh!" moments when you finally figure out what it is lol

6. Solar Mike

Solar Mike New Member

Car:
    2000 Beetle tdi
    Mods:
    Seatman, I hope that is the case but, I've disassembled and reassembled and can't find my error. Now I have three blown turbos as examples and all have the same problem. Clean and no carbon, I'll keep trying. There is no info, that I can find with torquing specs.

7. audi1z

audi1z Member

Car:
    Audi 80 1Z Engine
    The plate shown in the picture from Seatman, is completely flat, and the bottom under it, too?
    Cheers