1998 Jetta TDI: Pop, then coolant leak

Discussion in 'VW Mk3 Jetta, Passat TDI and other/older diesels' started by Combobulator, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Combobulator

Combobulator New Member

Car:
    VW, Jetta TDI, 1998
    My 1998 Jetta TDI has some AC problem. The fan wasn't going while the car wasn't moving but I had the AC on and I heard a loud pop. White smoke came from the passenger side of the hood, I pulled over and saw a lot of antifreeze in that section of the engine bay and what might be a sensor dangling that used to be connected to a cylinder that connects to the radiator and something else above it. It's in front of the passenger front side wheel, just behind the front bumper. I don't know if it's an urgent fix or not. I have no idea what that unit is and haven't been able to find it after numerous searches. Maybe since Jetta diagrams don't seem to include it, I can just pinch it off and keep driving. ;)

I drove it back home and there was no more smoke and it hasn't continued to drip on my driveway. My coolant levels are ok. Pic of the unit from the bottom included. The tube gonig to the bottom of the image goes to the radiator.

[​IMG]

login to remove this ad
  2. Magnus

Magnus Member

Car:
    VW T4 AXL 2.5Tdi Syncro 2002
    Mods:
    Airsuspension.
    That is the pressure sensor for your air condition.
    You need a new sensor and to do vacuum and fill up your a/c again but first fix your radiator fans.
    The white smoke was refrigerant escape out from your system and what looks like coolant is oil probably.
    So you must also fill oil in your air condition to not harm your compressor.
    Wish you luck and take to a shop that know what they do with air condition units.
    Most important now fix your fans.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Combobulator likes this.
  3. Combobulator

Combobulator New Member

Car:
    VW, Jetta TDI, 1998
    Thanks for the information. Is it ok to drive for now as long as I leave the AC off?

4. Magnus

Magnus Member

Car:
    VW T4 AXL 2.5Tdi Syncro 2002
    Mods:
    Airsuspension.
    Yes but keep an eye on your temp gauge.
    Never leave the engine running and go and do something else.
    If it gets to hot it can be damaged.
    Sorry for my late answer.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

5. Combobulator

Combobulator New Member

Car:
    VW, Jetta TDI, 1998
    Np. I put a bag over the sensor and where it plugs into. Not a lot of fluid has leaked out since. The temperature has been OK so far. Thanks for the info.

6. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    its a gas.. not fluid...

7. xeno555

xeno555 Well-Known Member

Car:
    2012 TDI Tech Package 6mt
    Mods:
    Malone Stage II. Rawtek 3" from Turbo to Tail. Slammed on Koni. TSW Nurmburg Rims. Whiteline Sway & Ends. Panzer Plate.
    Under pressure it turn to liquid.

Magnus likes this.