06 Jetta BRM TDI w/ Auto Trans, Low Volume howl / squeal during acceleration

Discussion in 'General Diesel Discussion' started by Josh Sandbo, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Josh Sandbo

Josh Sandbo New Member

Car:
    2006 VW Jetta TDI Sedan, 2010 VW Jetta TDI Sedan
    2006 Jetta TDI, Automatic Transmission, 180k miles. The low pitch howling / squealing during acceleration started about 2 weeks ago (Before 180k timing belt service). The noise starts around 1800 RPM and continues slightly above 2000 RPM. Cannot reproduce the noise if I shift into Neutral and rev to the mentioned RPM's. It only seems to be present under acceleration. The timing belt, water pump was changed at 180k. The noise was present before the service and still remains. The transmission fluid has also been changed at the 180k mark. It was present before and after the transmission service. Once I am at highway speeds it does not seem to be making the noise, only during the acceleration from 0 mph up to 55 mph. Seems to be coming from the front passengers’ side of the motor compartment, but it is hard to tell for sure. The power is there and the engine is running well even though I know I need to replace the Cam shaft (lobes are just starting to show signs). The flywheel was replaced by a VW dealer at 90k. I have no other symptoms with the motor or transmission. If it was the alternator I would expect I could reproduce the noise when in Neutral and revving the motor to the RPM, but I can't. Seems to not be present when cold (when I first start off in the morning) and then after about 5-10 minutes of driving I notice this noise. It fades away if I let off on the accelerator and then it will return if I get back into the accelerator. I am suspecting something with the transmission; however I am planning on checking the Alternator this evening just for the sake of checking it. Thanks

login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Maybe a bearing roller on the timing belt or serpentine belt is dying? The thing about being under load is that it torques the engine and sometimes weird stuff happens.

Could it be from the cabin fan? Those have a habit of dying because VW moved the cabin air filter from upstream of the fan to downstream...idiots...now the fan is exposed to moisture/leaves/bugs. Try turning the fan off and see if it makes any difference although I have a feeling it won't. But worth a try.

3. Josh Sandbo

Josh Sandbo New Member

Car:
    2006 VW Jetta TDI Sedan, 2010 VW Jetta TDI Sedan
    I replaced the worn out cam shaft, lifters and associated hardware. The howling is gone.

4. Octavian Diaconu

Octavian Diaconu New Member

Car:
    Vw Polo 2006 1.4 TDI 59kW 1422cc BNV
    2006, polo tdi 80hp, 3 cyl, bnv engine
    I have the same noise. I started in autumn, only between 1800-2000 rpm. in accelaration and also in deceleration. The whole winter it didn't make any noise. Now, as the weather got warmer, the noise retruned, but now it's only present when the engine in cold, after that, most of the noise fades off.
    I attached a few photos. the lobe nearest to the tandem pump seems a bit worn in the tip (felt by finger) and is a bit sharp on the edges. doesn't have anymore that 45 dregrees chamfer (hope I use the term correctly). the lobe nearest to the pulley still has that chamfer. those scratches do not catch the nail.
    tha car makes no smoke, starts perfect, full power.
    now for the questions:
    1. should I replace the camshaft ?
    2. if so, what manufacturer would you recommend for the cam shaft? Here in Romania, most available are Kolbenschmidt, Febi, Swag. People here do not recommend AE.
    3. for the lifters, they say INA (black ones) is the only way to go :), and for the bearings: Glyco.

thanks

Attached Files: