05 Passat TDI transmission mystery oil leak

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by Frostyref, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Frostyref

Frostyref New Member

Car:
    2X '05 Passat TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
    Mods:
    BSM delete on 1 '05
    I was driving my car, and I felt a bang like I hit something, but I never saw anything in the road either before the noise, or in the mirror after the noise. At the time I thought it must have been a piece of rubber from a tire. From the sound and vibration I thought it hit the drivers door and maybe left a dent. I drove another 150 miles, and when I stopped, there was no mark on the door, which was good news. However, after letting the car idle for 5 minutes, there was a large puddle of oil under the car, which turned out to be the transmission oil. I had the car towed to a shop (nothing like being 400 miles from home with tranny trouble right?).

They put it on the rack and told me that there was a big dent in the bottom of the pan, and that the oil was coming from around the gasket. They couldn't tell me why it didn't start leaking till after I stopped, but that's the case. Shop bought a new pan, and replaced the filter, gasket, and oil. and 2 weeks later I drove the 400 miles back to the car and picked it up. I went 30 miles to a hotel and the car seemed to shift and transfer power fine, but when I came out in the morning, there was a big puddle of oil under the car. Had the shop come back and get the car the following Monday (did I mention how much fun it is to have a disabled car 400 miles from my garage and tools?). They called me 5 days later to tell me that this oil leak appears to be coming from higher up in the transmission (he suggested a leaking pump or line?). I don't have any pictures and they told me that the oil runs out very fast and the car would not be drivable. They said that this is not their kind of thing and they wouldn't attempt repairs on the new problem. As I am not too familiar with the working of the transmission on my Passat, I was hoping that someone could tell me if I am screwed, or if there is some place else that the oil could be coming from?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2017
  2. db52282

db52282 New Member

Car:
    2005 Passat TDI
    I'm not a mechanic ... but I also have a 2005 Passat TDI. I would have someone check the Tandem Pump which is located on the back side of the engine (head). Mine was leaking before I had it fixed and lots of oil would be on the belly pan when I changed the oil. You might also have a leaking valve cover gasket. Just a thought...

3. Frostyref

Frostyref New Member

Car:
    Mods:
    BSM delete on 1 '05
    What was the fix that you had to do the to tandem pump? I have an appointment to take it to an AMCO place this week to be evaluated.

I don't think it is motor oil, as it really thin and not black. I think I can rule out the valve cover.

4. db52282

db52282 New Member

Car:
    2005 Passat TDI
    The fix for my tandem pump was to replace the gasket. It is very difficult to replace due to the location of the pump and it being so cramped.

5. Frostyref

Frostyref New Member

Car:
    Mods:
    BSM delete on 1 '05
    I'll let you know what the service guys say. Thanks for your advice.

6. Frostyref

Frostyref New Member

Car:
    Mods:
    BSM delete on 1 '05
    Took it to the local Aamco. News is not good. They said that the transmission has had some sort of internal failure. They can get me a rebuilt transmission for $5,500. I said no thanks. Now I own a paperweight! I need to sell what I can I guess. Engine runs strong with only 140K on it. Sucks to be me right now.

7. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    id look for different shop... 5500 is way to much on a rebuilt tranny..like 1k more then buying a new tranny from dealer and paying a shop to install the new unit.. yes new not rebuilt

fyi i was driving a company car, a pt looser, and it made the big bang... after stopping at the next exit.. it had welded 2 of the gears together making the car unable to be moved untill wheels off ground.. as it cooled off at the next stop...

Frostyref likes this.
  8. db52282

db52282 New Member

Car:
    2005 Passat TDI
    My '05 transmission also came unglued and was quoted $4500 for a factory reman unit from VW. The install was around $1,500. I had the car converted to a 5-speed manual for $3500 including a tune. The car now gets an average of 45 mpg and I have gotten as high as 53 mpg. It is a blast to drive and I never have to worry about a broken transmission again. I plan on keeping my passat until it won't go anymore. With only 140K on your car you might consider a conversion ... if you still like the car. Just a thought...

Frostyref likes this.
  9. Frostyref

Frostyref New Member

Car:
    Mods:
    BSM delete on 1 '05
    I appreciate the advice. Would love to do the manual conversion, but I don't really have the time or money that's why I'm not entertaining the auto tranny rebuild either. Love the car, but hate the price to fix. I guess I'm going to part the car out. Any suggestions on how to sell a good TDI motor?