01259 - Fuel Pump Relay (J17) MK5 GT TDI golf

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by ak77, May 10, 2015.

1. ak77

ak77 Member

Car:
    Mk5 GT Tdi Golf
    So , with a multi-meter and check every connection point at the control module ?

2. ak77

ak77 Member

Car:
    Mk5 GT Tdi Golf
    I have tested the wires with multi-meter and continuities are there, replaced all the relays.
    I have replaced G28 Speed sensor before hand and the car drove fine till it died on me.
    One continuous error was allays there that I couldn't clear : 01259 - Fuel Pump Relay (J17) 009 - Open or Short to Ground.
    Eventually the G28 speed sensor month after reappeared: after the new sensor installed.
    000801 - Engine Speed Sensor (G28)
    P0321 - 006 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
    Fault Priority: 5

I'm now just guessing that this Sensor plays some sort of protocol part in sending info to ECU that tells injectors at what time to open and close.
    It basically shuts them down 4 sec after car turns on. Therefore I guess the only thing that Fuel Pump Relay (J17) controls the the pump in the back and tandem one on the engine.
    Would i be correct to say my problem here is just the Sensor G28?!

3. ak77

ak77 Member

Car:
    Mk5 GT Tdi Golf
    Update,
    I now have successfully started the car and drove for hours. I stumbled across a smell. EGR smell!
    Basically I discovered that fumes from EGR valve have been blocking the startup. After blanking EGR valve with a home made plate the G28 Sensor code dissipated, gone.
    Fuel Pump Relay (J17) is still there and can not be erased Priority 5. But car runs fine, if not better. More responsive than ever.

My question is, why would the EGR not be read by VCDS and not offer the trouble codes.
    Even now that the engine reticulation is blocked, why isn't it spitting out error? Should it not come up on dash?

I will be researching this further. Driving with EGR blocked. Any suggestions?

4. Fitzgerald

Fitzgerald New Member

Car:
    Golf 5,1.9tdi 2005
    Gentlemen kindly assist.I recently rebuilt my golf5 1.9tdi.now it just cranks and doesnt start.I checked the fuel pump using 12volts,its perfect.when I put the key on the fuel pump runs fuel,when I try start the car,the fuel stop flowing.thanx in advance.

5. ak77

ak77 Member

Car:
    Mk5 GT Tdi Golf
    Het Fitz, need more detail mate, how this this problem occur. Whats teh last thing you done. Do you have VCD's diagnosis of error?

6. Fitzgerald

Fitzgerald New Member

Car:
    Golf 5,1.9tdi 2005
    Thanx for your prompt response. I overhauled the engine. I don't have the diagnosis printout with me however, it mentioned fuel pump relay (permanent) and crankshaft position something like that.

7. ak77

ak77 Member

Car:
    Mk5 GT Tdi Golf
    You might have intermittent communication from your speed sensor, G28, if I remember correctly. On GT model it was a pain to replace but it solved my problem. This is the starting communication point to ECU as other protocols follow. I did discover this the hard way . Proper thing to do is to flush the ECU and re code , but expensive compare to the value of the car :)
    Also of you removed modules of the main seating board , ( J17) and so on, you will need to make sure they are no loose or the back of cluster cables is seated properly. I had this problem for months until I unplugged all and resolved my intermittent error I was getting. Hope that helps. But you still need the detailed VCDs faults and their priorities elaborated.

8. ak77

ak77 Member

Car:
    Mk5 GT Tdi Golf
    Ps, Ask Keith on here he seems to be most knowledgeable :)

9. Fitzgerald

Fitzgerald New Member

Car:
    Golf 5,1.9tdi 2005
    Mmmmmm you are scarring me...I am in Botswana and am seated here wondering if there is anyone who can do that for me...lol....I will with checking the connections.thank you

10. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    This thread has been going for along time its strange you haven't sorting this Fuel Pump Relay (J17). I don't have any fuse/relay diagrams for you Mk5 Golf BNM only a 2007 Golf 2.0 SDI which shows a few fuses and the J17 is in the relay carrier No. 4 under the dash.

I will look on ElsaWin sometime to see if your BNM is different.

Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 11/2005-11/2008, Model: Golf GT, Engine Code: BMN, 125Kw, 170PS, 2.0 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: GT, Turbocharged Direct Injection Pumpe Düse (TDI-PD)

11. ak77

ak77 Member

Car:
    Mk5 GT Tdi Golf
    Thanks Keith, we appreciate your help. I know of few GT's in Perth WA with this same issue.

12. Fitzgerald

Fitzgerald New Member

Car:
    Golf 5,1.9tdi 2005
  13. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Ok I've had a look in ElsaWin and I've made 2007 Golf GT 2.0 TDI-PD Fuse & Relays 63 pages PDF. You only say its an Mk5 so all the info shown is 2005-2007.

Type Codes 1K1B82 6 speed 1K1B83 6 speed DSG

As I've said before on the 2003 Golf 2.0 SDI the Fuel Pump Relay (J17) 449 is under the dash in slot 4 its the same on your 2007. From May 2005 its slot 5.

If you or anyone wants a copy then PM me with your email address?

14. Fitzgerald

Fitzgerald New Member

Car:
    Golf 5,1.9tdi 2005
    update: i checked all my fuses including relays...all are working....i sort of made my own connection and supplied power to the fuel pump ,the heater plugs and then replaced the pick up sensor now the car is running perfect.I know this is a temporary thing and maybe a bad idea.Keith kindly email me the diagram...(2005 Golf 5 1.9tdi BKC)
    matakule@yahoo.co.uk

15. ak77

ak77 Member

Car:
    Mk5 GT Tdi Golf
    Hey that's good news to guess :)
    Keith if you don't mind I'd like a diagram here two
    akatic@iinet.net.au
    For GT diesel please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Ok ak77 I've sent the 63 page PDF file to you. As I said you needed to PM me you email address not post it in an open forum, unless you love getting spam emails.

17. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    I don't have a 2005 Golf 1.9 TDI BKC diagram. I might check if its much different from a 2007 Golf GT 2.0 TDI-PD. The same goes for posting your email address in an open forum.

I have the type code 1K1131 2004 Golf 1.9 TDI Comfo 77, BKC - 105PS, FNE GQQ HGN - 5S

18. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Ok Fitzgerald I've had a look for your 2005 Golf 1.9 TDI with engine code BKC. There are a few Type Code that use the BKC engine code.

1K1032 1K1033 Golf 1.9 TDI Trend 77, 1K1231 1K1232 1K1233 1K1236 Golf 1.9 TDI Sport 77

I used 1K1032 Golf 1.9 TDI-PD Trend 77, BKC - 105PS, GQM - 6S. I should have checked the transmission code as I thought it was a 5S as the PDF says. The other strange thing with ElsaWin is it shows gearbox/transmission codes that I've never heard of and all my PDFs don't show it FNG for your.

I've just sent you 2005 Golf 1.9 TDI-PD Fuse & Relays 64 page PDF.