00741 - Brake Pedal Monitoring (solved but left with CEL questions) B4 Passat 95 1Z

Discussion in 'VW Mk3 Jetta, Passat TDI and other/older diesels' started by sverik, Aug 7, 2017.

1. sverik

sverik New Member

Car:
    Passat B4 1Z
    Car has early type ECU (black plastic casing)

For ~2 months I have been driving around with CEL that comes up after ~15 minutes of driving (just did not have time to deal with it). GP light flashing, otherwise everything runs good...

Got codes scanned and it showed
    00741 - Brake Pedal Monitoring
    27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

It seemed at first that one switch was shot but eventually it all came down to blown brake light fuse (probably cause of messed trailer wires, winter and salt...).

What I have figured out now is that CEL came on cause one switch was showing no activity but why would it come on after 15 minutes of driving? Maybe CEL was referring to error that came the moment the fuse blew but still why the delay? If I disconnect MAF and turn on ignition I get no CEL. Shouldn´t the ECU see something missing immediately?

I know it might sound odd but I have recently made the inevitable move towards cars with ECU´s and the learning curve seems steep. Drove AAZ Passats for 120000km, timing belt and injector pump reseal was straightforward. These TDI´s though can´t all be figured out by just looking at them...

2. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    VAG Error Code: 00741

Fault Location:
    Brake Pedal Monitoring - Implausible Signal

Possible Cause:
    No accelerator pedal response.
    Poor engine performance.
    Glow Plug light flashing.

Fuse(s).
    Wiring/Connector(s).
    Issue with Brake Light Switch (F47).
    Issue with Brake Lights.

Possible Solutions:
    Check/Replace Fuse(s).
    Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
    Verify correct brake light bulbs are installed.
    Inspect brake light bulb sockets for damage.
    Ensure Brake Light Switch (F47) is adjusted correctly.
    Test Brake Light Switch (F47).

Special Notes:
    On 1.9L TDI ALH engine, go into Engine then Measuring Value Blocks (MVB) group 006, Field #2 (01-08-006#2).
    Foot off brake field #2 should read 000.
    Slowly press on brake, should then read 011 with both "1" activating at the same time.
    If both "1" do not activate at same time, Brake Light Switch (F47) may be defective.

When is the code detected?:
    This fault message is stored if the brake light switch signals “brake pedal pressed” but the brake pedal switch does not detect a pressed brake pedal, or vice versa.

As taken from my new Free EOBD II Error Codes software